• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 01:01:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195

Frigid Tuesday Morning

Started by wsantia1, October 19, 2021, 06:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. It is a very chilly morning here with the current temp at 45 degrees. It actually dropped down to 42F overnight. We will get close to 70 by this afternoon under a sunny sky.

I've got some running around today as I get ready for another wedding in New York this coming weekend. These weddings have been kind of costly for me but at least this one won't be as costly as my daughters was. I also will actually get to enjoy this one more as I am not part of the wedding party.

It seems like everything is at a standstill in my fishroom as there is absolutely no breeding going on. Even my yellow shrimp are not breeding so I need to take a step back and make sure all of my water parameters are in range.

I've been doing regular water changes twice a week of about 50%. I was doing them only once a week before and they were breeding regularly. I can understand my Angels slowing down because most of them are getting older. We shall see what's going on after testing everything.

Everyone haver a great day. Good luck Ron.

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Good morning Willie, same exact temps here, sunny and cold out there right now.  But will warm up soon, 80 by Friday.  I am not ready for cold weather!  Wow, another wedding huh?  It has been a very long time since I went to one.  There are no young people in my remaining family. 

Ron hope your shot goes well today. I got my Pfizer booster yesterday, feel just fine today.  And flu shot was last week.  You all get yours if not already.

Have a good day my friends,
Barb

wsantia1

Hey Barb, the weddings I am going to are people in their 50s. I guess they are youngsters to us. I got my flu shot last week and now I waiting for my Covid-19 booster shot. I have to wait for Moderna to get CDC approval. FDA already gave the OK.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Good Morning...!

It's 68 right now and will go to high 70s today...you guys should come visit!...

Well...I have mosquitos in my fish room...I'm pretty sure they are breeding in my RO reservoir because there is an uncovered opening in the top...I bought an eco-friendly mosquito trapper that I set up in there Sunday night...Monday morning I went in to check it out and no mosquitos were caught and 2 mosquitos flew up from beside the trapper and tried to feast on me...! :D :D...I'll check on it today and if no mosquitos - back to Amazon it goes...!

Liz, how are those beautiful new appliances working for you so far...?

Thanks for the kind wishes on the success of my shot today...the pain level I was having from that area has dropped considerably, but it's still there...I think that things in my skeletal structure are settling into place after the new knee...maybe this shot will stop that nagging background pain...fingers crossed... ;D

Not much going on in my fishroom today...I might go in and putz a few minutes...

I hope all of you are having a wonderful day and happy aquariuming!... 8)

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm the slow one today but I haven't been doing nothing.  I had to go to Lowes for a couple of sediment filters for my RO unit.  They will get me through until I put in an order to Bulk Reef Supply where they have better quality stuff.  I opted to go to Petal instead of Laurel or Hattiesburg because all the stuff I needed was close together.  Of course, the RO filters were in the very back corner of the store and I'm still to proud to use an electric buggy.  Down the road a bit was the good supermarket, and almost next to it was the discount tobacco store where I picked up refills for my vape pen.  Down the highway the in the other direction was the feed store.  I do need dog food but as long as I was in the neighborhood I decided to get horse feed too, which I will keep stored in the Peamite until I run out of what's in the house.  Then back home to make chicken stock from the carcass from the chicken I roasted a few days ago.

Surprisingly after all that walking around I feel pretty good.  I don't know if it's because I rest for so much of time or if I'm having a delayed reaction from the nerve burning.  I don't care which it is, I'm just thankful.

Ron, I'm so happy for you that your shot seems to be working.  I think that at our age we have to get used to at least a bit of pain.  Same with you, Willie.  Barb, I want to get my antibodies checked before I get my booster.  If they're high I'll wait the full 6 months since I had my last one.  I just haven't gotten around to having them checked yet.

This morning I saw my last best hope pair of Discus pecking at the cone for the first time since I put them in a love nest tank.  No tubes down yet but they don't peck and shimmy for nothing.

Ron, I love every appliance I've used so far.  I keep learning more about the stove top.  The middle burner puts out 8000 BTU's!  That's way more than the 5,000 must gas ranges put out which itself is way more than electric ranges give you.  It also has a burner labeled "accusimmer" on which my chicken stock is simmering.  The stove top oven did a surprisingly wonderful job on a roast chicken and the next day my Nutella brownies.  The big oven will be proving it's worth tomorrow when I'll be making a big pot of chili.  I like to make soups and stews in a cast iron Dutch oven and make it low and slow in the real oven rather than the stove top.  I like that way because the heat gets into the pot from all sides, not just the bottom.

As you can see, I'm feeling pretty satisficed for an old lady with a spine that's falling apart 8)
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Liz...I'm leaving a 2:15 to go get the shot...sorry I mislead you...but it's nice to know you'll be happy for me... :D ...thanks!

When I replaced the substrate in the Tetra tank I took the Fx4 out for cleaning...ended up with the purge valve starting to leak....I've been on our FB group page this morning with a fellow I recently met who knew how to do what I needed to do...so I ordered the part and it will be here Monday...YAY! |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron