• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 140
Total: 141

Fun Friday

Started by Barb, September 24, 2021, 06:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi folks, if I say fun maybe it will be!  It is much cooler today, almost a shock after the hot summer.  Now I will be able to do some good yardwork.  I have a big batch of Discus cones to fire today, will be glad when that is done.  It is always a tense time for me while it is firing up to 2100 degrees in my garage.  Takes 24 hrs to do the whole job, including 12 hrs. of cool down til I can open it up and see how they all look.

Hope you all have a good day, and don't you work too hard Liz, Willie and Ron. You 3 all have recovery to do.
Barb

wsantia1

Good morning Barb and everyone. The rain has stopped and it is much cooler today with the current temp at 54 degrees and going up to 74F this afternoon.

While going into the garage yesterday evening I tripped and fell down the two steps  to the floor and slightly sprained my left ankle and right thumb. I am thinking that I could have broken my ankle or wrist. Worse yet it could have been both. I'm okay but now I need to get a railing put up ASAP because it is a safety hazard.

Barb the thought of firing anything up at 2100 degrees in my garage scares the crap out of me. I do remember doing that in ceramics class in Junior High School but I never knew that the kiln go that hot.

Anyway it's time for me to start getting ready so I'm wishing everyone a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Oh my Willie, how lucky you are not to have been hurt worse! Years ago I fell down the 5 steps in our garage, wearing slippery soled shoes, and broke and sprained my ankle.  I am glad you only have 2 steps. 

My kiln is very safe and has an automatic shut off if anything goes wrong in it during firing.  These kilns are very expensive and well made, it is my 3rd one since 1998.  This is a new one, the others were used. I keep a close watch on it.  It gets as hot as volcano lava, and all the inside plus pottery gets bright orange just like the pics we see of molten lava.  There is a 1/4" peep hole I can see, for a couple seconds.  Take care,
Barb

LizStreithorst

Yeah, Willie.  You could have hurt yourself badly.  I fell yesterday morning.  I saw an adult black with red grasshopper in one of my flower gardens.  I tripped on the low stock panel fence I put around it to help the dogs know to stay out.  I was pissed off when I realized I was going to fall but once I realized it I got in a position to fall in a way that wouldn't hurt me.  There were 2 Naked Lady's almost ready to flower and when I fell I snapped them off at the base.  Damn.  Later I went looking for my phone and it was nowhere.  I had to go to my neighbor Judy and ask her to call me several times.  I finally found it in the garden where I fell, but the phone flew far away from where I fell.

You kiln sounds very cool.  I haven't done that since Jr. High when we did ceramics as part of our art course.  I mad an ash tray.  It was a pretty blue and the inside and blue/green on the outside.  My mother actually liked it and used it in her formal living room.

It is cool enough to work in the sun as long as I can sit in a shady spot every once in a while.  I got the shavings with a light dusting of cottonseed meal dug in to one 4 X 8 raised and planted my carrots.  I dug it 3 times.  My soil is easy to turn and  nearly black.  It took a lot of work a couple of years ago but I was able to turn clay gravel dirt into an excellent garden soil without having to buy anything.  I did the second bed dug twice and figured that although I could make myself turn it a 3rd time and planted would be something I'd pay for with pain the next day.  I'm slowly learning to quit before I'm worn out. 

Three loads of laundry are hanging out.  There isn't a cloud in the sky but I don't think the sun is strong enough this time of year to get my bed sheets dry.  They're a very close weave Egyptian cotton.  I'll have to give them a bit of a tumble in the dryer but they'll still smell of the outdoors.

Be happy y'all.  We need to appreciate what we have and not dwell on what we've lost if we are to be happy.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

hi gang!...

I think our 100+ temps are gone for sure now because today is only supposed to get to 93 and the next 10 days show the 90s and 80s...I don't mind the 100+ so much because I have plenty of inside stuff to do all the time, but I will feel more comfortable and more inclined to walk outside now!!!...I have discovered that our little gym is a comfortable area to exercise in though...that has not been a regular habit of mine in the past though...maybe things will change now that I realize I'm falling apart!  :D :D :D...

I'm getting more excited about our swap meet coming up on the 3rd...we have 17 people that will be bringing 1 or 2 tables...I'm going to start getting some of the dry goods I have ready this coming week...then next Saturday I'll start packing up the livestock and plants...

Willie, I sure hope you didn't do any permanent damage...We don't have steps in our home...we have ground level entry, so that has not been a scary issue for me since we moved here almost 2 years ago now...the drawback to that is that I haven't had many opportunities to workout the knee on stairs except occasionally at PT...However, while in Tacoma I did well on the few I had to negotiate... |^|  So while I'm writing this Liz entered a post...What's all this falling about?...Now I gotta be super careful if things really come in 3s....Barb, You better be super careful too!...

Right now I'm on hold to speak to a CS person at SiriusXM over a billing issue...companies certainly are pushing doing stuff online with them these days...but sometimes the right option isn't there...

Well, not much success so far in lowering the price on the package we want!  :( ...I'll try my patience and call another day! :P :P

Gotta go now and do a wc before PT at 3pm...

Bye, Y'all!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Gosh Ron, you sure do sound happy and positive.  I have to try hard to remain positive as a fall apart but remain otherwise healthy.  How did you manage to get such a great attitude?

If falling down comes in 3's I'll do it for us again.  I've always been good at not getting hurt when I fall.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 24, 2021, 04:15:29 PM
Gosh Ron, you sure do sound happy and positive.  I have to try hard to remain positive as a fall apart but remain otherwise healthy.  How did you manage to get such a great attitude?

If falling down comes in 3's I'll do it for us again.  I've always been good at not getting hurt when I fall.
...it seems like when I got home from Tacoma the pains I had lifted a lot...plus, Mom always taught me and was an example for being thankful for what I have and not stew over what I don't have...she always reminded me that no matter what my low situation was - pain, mental, fatigue, relationships, etc - there were always people in worse condition than I...

Kinda like "I was complaining about the holes in my shoes until I met a man with no feet."...

And then a long-distance friend of mine posted today..."We need to appreciate what we have and not dwell on what we've lost if we are to be happy."  |^|...Recognize that bit of truth, Miss Liz? ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Liz good to know you didn't hurt yourself and I am happy that everyone is in a positive state today including me. Yes I fell but I don't hurt so that is the best part. With the weather as good as it is and lasting through the weekend I am looking at a great few days. I have company coming this weekend too so that will make it so much better. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.