• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 09:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 172
Total: 173

Sunny Sunday

Started by wsantia1, September 12, 2021, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone.  It's going to be a sunny and warm day with temps getting up to 85 degrees. It will be breezy most of the day so that will make it feel a little cooler.

I'll be watching some football today while taking time out to play around in the fishroom. I have 2 newly emptied tank that I have to clean up in order to move other fish into them. The 29 gallon tank is really going to need a good scrubbing. huh

Wishing you all a great day
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Good morning Willie.  I have fish room work to do today, too.  I've got an empty 90 that I want to Clorox.  I've started doing that when I empty a tank.  It's a pain, but it's really nice introducing fish into a squeaky clean algae free tank.

I was totally disgusted with myself yesterday at WC time.  I was changing water in a new pair's tank.  Their first spawn was huge and I was really looking forward to keeping this pair forever.  Damned if the female didn't attack the siphon hose when I put it in while dad was keeping the kids in the opposite corner.  She attacked so fast that I didn't have time to move the hose to another spot before she swam right into it.  I immediately ran out to where the water discharges and searched for my mama fish but she was always headed down to the stream that leads to the river.  Damn me.

The babies are still very tiny so I'm going to move them to a 10 gallon to grow out a good bit more before I give them more elbow room.  I have a nice newly adult gold female that I'll give to the male.

It's a beautiful sunny cool day again today.  I thought I'd be harvesting plant #2 today but since the sun hasn't been so brutally hot lately the plant still isnt quite ready.  I did fine someone who can find out what the dried cured product is worth.  He'll call me tomorrow with the info.

Have a good day, folks.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Liz sorry to hear about your female Liz. That has happened to me before but my fish was badly injured in the suction cone and I had no choice but to put it down.

I like that Clorox idea. Do you just wipe it down with the Clorox or put water in it and dump Corox in the water. That 29G that I just emptied is disgusting with all of the mostly brown algae. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

I leave a little water in the tank then dump several glugs of Clorox in it.  Then I scrub down the glass and silicone with the Clorox solution.  They say a 10 part water to 1 part Clorox will do the trick, but I just go glug glug glug.  Next I fill the tank with water and add dechlorinator.  I put the sponges back in, let them bubble for a while and the tank is ready for fish.

wsantia1

Thanks Liz. That sounds real simple. That 29 needs it really bad. I can clean it up very nice and in two days I'll have brown algae all over it. Time to go nuclear with it. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

LizStreithorst

This brown algae only happens with me when I have unestablished but it's worth a try for you.  The algae I fight is green and gets into every crevice and is impossible to full remove even when it looks like you've got it all.

I did my tank cleaning and filling and got my fry moved.  The first pair had kids maybe a week older than the motherless kids.  I know it sounds crazy but I decided to put them in a 60 wide with only some snots.  They are doing the right thing and staying together in a bunch.

Then I moved the gold female into the tank of the widowed male.  So far he doesn't like her.

Pair number 3's eggs all turned white so I replaced them with a pair that was getting seriously flirty.

It was all somewhat depressing work but at least it's done.

wsantia1

The brown algae thing is weird. This tank has been established for years but for some reason so has the brown algae. I guess I can't get into every crevice.

None of my other tanks are like that. Unfortunately I am a heavy feeder so that doesn't help either.

I have another 29 on the floor so I may just replace the tank now that it's empty. I'll still clean it with the Clorox before I put it up.
Willie

LizStreithorst

If the Clorox gets into every crevice it will kill the algae.  Does that tank maybe get more intense light than the others.  I overfeed too.  I can't seem to help it.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 12, 2021, 03:26:18 PM
If the Clorox gets into every crevice it will kill the algae.  Does that tank maybe get more intense light than the others.  I overfeed too.  I can't seem to help it.

I don't think so but my lighting is an old LED so I don't know what may be going on with it. huh
Willie

Ron Sower

Hi gang!...checking in here with you before I go to sleep...we've been on the go here most of the time...best part so far was going to the wedding dress fitting today at one place...yesterday the lady's all went to 2 places....it was a treat and I was a good grandpa...I must say, though,that she made every dress she tried on look beautiful!!!...a totally objective. Statement, let me tell you!🤣🤣🤣

Having lunch tomorrow with old friends...Tuesday night we're going to minor league baseball game with daughter and her beau...

I'm pretty worn out and dealing with the back and knee pain most of the time...but I'll get thru it...

Goodnight y'all and happy aquariuming!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron