• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

Sunny Sunday

Started by LizStreithorst, September 05, 2021, 09:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Good morning Willie and Ron.  Barb is off visiting her son and daughter in law so I imagine she'll miss todays post.  It's another beautiful day to day.  I had another of my marathon 12 hr sleeps last night so I feel pretty good.  Only things on the list for today are changing water in the house tanks and make a box for tomorrow's shipment of Rams.

Speaking of Rams, pair #3 have eggs this morning.  If these are successful I'm going to have to quit Ram breeding and concentrate on growing out their babies.  I want to keep 2 good parent raising pairs for myself and sell the 3rd.

Willie, how much water are you changing in your breeding tanks?  I treat mine almost like Discus.  They don't get WC every day but at least 50% every 3 days.  Rams, like Discus are river fish where they have a constant supply of fresh clean water.  I can think of any other reason you are having problems.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 05, 2021, 09:23:29 AM
Good morning Willie and Ron.  Barb is off visiting her son and daughter in law so I imagine she'll miss todays post.  It's another beautiful day to day.  I had another of my marathon 12 hr sleeps last night so I feel pretty good.  Only things on the list for today are changing water in the house tanks and make a box for tomorrow's shipment of Rams.

Speaking of Rams, pair #3 have eggs this morning.  If these are successful I'm going to have to quit Ram breeding and concentrate on growing out their babies.  I want to keep 2 good parent raising pairs for myself and sell the 3rd.

Willie, how much water are you changing in your breeding tanks?  I treat mine almost like Discus.  They don't get WC every day but at least 50% every 3 days.  Rams, like Discus are river fish where they have a constant supply of fresh clean water.  I can think of any other reason you are having problems.

Hi Liz. I was actually starting to do well but I had the one spawn where I dropped too much egg yolk and the parents ate the fry and then another spawn that happened to come at the time I had to go away for a wedding.I kind of figured that spawn was doomed.

At the moment I have a huge spawn that started free swimming today and the parents are taking great care of. I just fed them some microworms as their first meal and I have a fresh batch of BBS that will be available for them this afternoon.

My dilemma now is weather to leave them with the parents or pull them into a 10 gallon tank that I have ready for them.  huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I suppose that since this is your first successful spawn the safest thing to do would be to separate them.  It's something I never do but I have lots of pairs to choose from.  I've found it easier to move the parents rather that trying to catch all the tiny fry.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 05, 2021, 10:19:29 AM
I suppose that since this is your first successful spawn the safest thing to do would be to separate them.  It's something I never do but I have lots of pairs to choose from.  I've found it easier to move the parents rather that trying to catch all the tiny fry.

There are still a few fry waiting to take their first swim. I guess that they will take off soon.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Once I realized that tomorrow is a holiday I didn't make the box but instead spent the day trimming pot.  My God it's tedious work.  I wanted to trim it wet this time because the quality is better wet than dry.  It's just too much pot for me to process before it's all ready for processing which is about now for this big plant.

I realized that although putting this plant in a tomato cage did protect it from the wind, as it became bushy, many inside leaves and buds didn't get enough air circulation in this humid climate.  There has been a lot of waste due to mold.  Next year I'll make it so I don't have the same problem.  I'm learning by doing which to me, is the most fun way to learn.

Tomorrow I'll probably pull up the whole plant, cut off the branches and the largest leaves and hang it to dry branch by branch.

wsantia1

Well I moved the Black Ram parents with minimal stress on the parents or myself. The fry are now in a 20 gallon high tank and I'll start syphoning up some debris from the tank. I'll be doing at least 25% water changes daily to start and increase that as the fry get bigger and feeding increases.

The parents are now in an adjacent 20H and I blacked out the side of the tank with a piece of cardboard so they can't see their fry.
Willie

LizStreithorst

The parents will likely spawn again in a week or two.  This time I'd let them try raising the kids.  20% daily in a 20 high with tiny fry probably isn't necessary but won't hurt.  It is important to try to keep the tank bottom as clean as you can of debris.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 05, 2021, 04:23:16 PM
The parents will likely spawn again in a week or two.  This time I'd let them try raising the kids.  20% daily in a 20 high with tiny fry probably isn't necessary but won't hurt.  It is important to try to keep the tank bottom as clean as you can of debris.

That is what I'm working on now. These fry are so tiny that I have to syphon the water into a small container and then use a small turkey baster to get any fry that got syphoned out. I'm used to doing it with the angels but these guys are half the size of angel fry. 
Willie

LizStreithorst

The fry figure it out eventually but one of the reasons it's good to have them with their parents is that the parents will herd them together in one corner.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 05, 2021, 05:39:27 PM
The fry figure it out eventually but one of the reasons it's good to have them with their parents is that the parents will herd them together in one corner.

Well I'm finished for the day in the fishroom. Thanks for all of your advice Liz. It is very much appreciated. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

LizStreithorst

I've loved trying to guide you, Willie.  What good is knowing stuff if you can't share it with someone wanting to learn?

Ron Sower

It's still Sunday here, guys and gals!...long day! ...we had 132 ppl at the meeting today!...wow! blew our record away!...largest raffle with 100's of dollars from our sponsors and a HUGE auction... |^| |^| |^|...I got rid of a bunchof stuff I don't need anymore..

I'm pretty tired so I'm going to bed now...Happy Aquariuming all y'all...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron