• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 17, 2024, 07:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 210
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 118
Total: 119

Drying Out Thursday

Started by wsantia1, September 02, 2021, 05:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. I am happy to say that we are drying out after a tornado scare yesterday afternoon. Luckily it missed us and skipped over the bay into New Jersey where they weren't so lucky. Lots of flooding in New Jersey and the Philly area and even in NYC.

It is going to be a sunny and cool day for us with high temps getting up to 75 degrees. The wind will be gusting up to 25 mph so that should help in drying things up.

I am going to get Kobe groomed this morning. Unfortunately we don't have many good terrier groomer here (Liz). They have some in Pennsylvania and they are pretty pricey.

More fishroom work and WCs on the agenda today.

Wishing you all a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Hi Willie...and Barb and Liz when you check in...I'm happy the storm went by you...any fish spawning due to it?

I'm scheduled to do tank maintenance at my 1 client today but need to change it because I have a sudden doc appt to get fitted for a back brace and PT...they are too far apart geographically to get them all done today...I hope we can reschedule for tomorrow...

Barb, you and Willie certainly make those Rams sound like fun!...it's time for me to get some...what water parameters do you aim for?...

Guess I'd better get my day started....I'm getting tired of all these doc appts, but I guess I'm getting some good out of them...at least there wasn't a co-pay yesterday with my PCP!... |^|

You guys have a wonderful day with happy aquariuming!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Willie, you really did luck out on Ida.  New Jersey and NY have been in the national news.  They had more deaths up north than we had down here close to where it came in. 

Ron, I'm the big ram breeder.  Willie is still working on getting his first successful spawn.  If you want rams let me know and I'll fix you up.

I went to bed early last night and just lay there hurting until I made myself get up and take my evening pain meds at 11.  I was surprised and delighted when I woke up feeling good because I had 2 grooming dogs to do.  I think this may be the last time I do these dogs.  The fat little female is easy peasy.  The male is a huge pain in the ass and fights against me the entire time.

I have tomorrow to rest and Saturday I have a little fat girl who is a joy to groom.  I do her like a Cairn terrier.  I showed the owners a picture of one and we agreed that although their dog is just a mixed breed she looked just like one.

Willie, the best terrier groomers hand strip rather than use clippers.  It's a time consuming process so it has to be pricy.  I used to do it but my hands can't take it any more.  I get the same look using clippers, but clipping does change the texture of the coat from hard to soft. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Ron, you definitely have to go to Liz for the Black Rams. Hers are the best I've seen. Even though I haven't been successful rearing the fry them I absolutely love them.

Liz you are 100% right about the clippers changing the texture of the terrier coat. Kobe got hand stripped for the first four years of his life. I was costly but well worth it to me. Once I moved here I couldn't find anyone who could do it so I started having his coat cut. His coat and skin were much better when he was hand stripped. huh
Willie

Barb

Hi everybody!  It is a cooler day here, and quite cloudy.  Now the people up north are finding out what Liz and I already experience living in the south and southeast, almost yearly.  It is so sad to see how people are suffering from Ida, a terrible beast of a storm.  My SIL in Maryland recently laughed at me for telling her my trip to see her would depend not only on my mom's health, but if a hurricane was here or coming here. She had never heard of a trip being planned this way.  NOW she knows.

You all have as good a day as you can, I have lots of indoor chores to do today.  Most involve plant and fish care.  Happy aquariuming, as Ron says!
Barb

Barb

What is hand stripping a dog?  I have no idea!

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 02, 2021, 02:19:30 PM

Liz you are 100% right about the clippers changing the texture of the terrier coat. Kobe got hand stripped for the first four years of his life. I was costly but well worth it to me. Once I moved here I couldn't find anyone who could do it so I started having his coat cut. His coat and skin were much better when he was hand stripped. huh

Tell your groomer to use a #7 blade instead of a #10.  The 7 leaves the hair a touch longer but it might help the skin.  It's the close clipping that does the most damage.  But at Kobi's age you might not see a difference in the skin at all.  Dang...I know the weirdest things by grooming dogs for all these years.  When I get into the weeds of grooming with most everyone I might as well have been saying blah..blah..blah.  All they want is for the dog to be cut short.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 02, 2021, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on September 02, 2021, 02:19:30 PM

Tell your groomer to use a #7 blade instead of a #10.  The 7 leaves the hair a touch longer but it might help the skin.  It's the close clipping that does the most damage.  But at Kobi's age you might not see a difference in the skin at all.  Dang...I know the weirdest things by grooming dogs for all these years.  When I get into the weeds of grooming with most everyone I might as well have been saying blah..blah..blah.  All they want is for the dog to be cut short.

Great suggestion Liz. I'll ask her about it. Thanks
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on September 02, 2021, 02:21:20 PM
Hi everybody!  It is a cooler day here, and quite cloudy.  Now the people up north are finding out what Liz and I already experience living in the south and southeast, almost yearly.  It is so sad to see how people are suffering from Ida, a terrible beast of a storm.  My SIL in Maryland recently laughed at me for telling her my trip to see her would depend not only on my mom's health, but if a hurricane was here or coming here. She had never heard of a trip being planned this way.  NOW she knows.

You all have as good a day as you can, I have lots of indoor chores to do today.  Most involve plant and fish care.  Happy aquariuming, as Ron says!
Barb
YAY! It's about time someone picked up on this!!... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Barb on September 02, 2021, 02:22:27 PM
What is hand stripping a dog?  I have no idea!

Barb it's pulling out the hair by using your fingers or a too.  It's only done on terriers because they have what's called a broken coat.  As the new good hair grows there gets to be a place where the old hair that's connected to it dies.  You pull it out by hand to keep the condition of the coat and skin healthy.  It does not hurt the dog because there is a natural break in the hair.