• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

Stormy Thursday

Started by wsantia1, July 08, 2021, 09:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Barb I hope you are drying out by now. It looks like we are in the direct path of Elsa as it makes its way towards the northeast. We will have thunderstorms starting at around 3:00pm and lasting through tomorrow morning.

The current temp is 84 degrees and our high temp will get up to 87F with winds only getting up to 20 mph. Hopefully that wind forecast is accurate.

I fed the baby rams at around 7:00 this morning and all looked good.  I just checked on them again a few minutes ago and they are all gone. It's looks like the parents decided to make a meal out of their spawn. huh

I will keep looking for the fry just in case the parents hid them but it doesn't look good. Now I don't trust the parents anymore. >:(

It's time for me to start my water changes because my grandkids are coming on Saturday for a 54 day stay and I probably won't get a chance to work with the tanks much during that period.

Hopefully everyone has a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on July 08, 2021, 09:24:33 AM
Good morning everyone. Barb I hope you are drying out by now. It looks like we are in the direct path of Elsa as it makes its way towards the northeast. We will have thunderstorms starting at around 3:00pm and lasting through tomorrow morning.

The current temp is 84 degrees and our high temp will get up to 87F with winds only getting up to 20 mph. Hopefully that wind forecast is accurate.

I fed the baby rams at around 7:00 this morning and all looked good.  I just checked on them again a few minutes ago and they are all gone. It's looks like the parents decided to make a meal out of their spawn. huh

I will keep looking for the fry just in case the parents hid them but it doesn't look good. Now I don't trust the parents anymore. >:(

It's time for me to start my water changes because my grandkids are coming on Saturday for a 54 day stay and I probably won't get a chance to work with the tanks much during that period.

Hopefully everyone has a great day.

I just found a second pair and the male is sitting on a clutch of eggs in a cave. This tank has a male and two females so the non paired female has to be moved.

I have a solo male in a 29g with an older angelfish but since I have deemed him a murderer as I am pretty sure he has killed two of my females, I won't put her in with him. huh

Lots going on here today. huh
Willie

Barb

Hi Willie, just rain and some wind so far, at noon.  The worst of it is west of here, looks like my city will be fine.  My elephant ears aren't even damaged, something that always happens in high wind.  Hope you come through Elsa fine too.  This is a mild storm compared to the usual ones we get here.

Are your grandkids really coming for 54 days?  Or did you put the wrong #?  That is a loooong visit.  Aug 3 you will need a nice 20 gal tank for the coming Koi couple.  They are used to bare bottom and  fake wood with a few anubias on it.  They spawn on the fake log.  My water is high ph, about 9, and full of minerals, very hard.  They will like your conditions.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on July 08, 2021, 11:20:28 AM
Hi Willie, just rain and some wind so far, at noon.  The worst of it is west of here, looks like my city will be fine.  My elephant ears aren't even damaged, something that always happens in high wind.  Hope you come through Elsa fine too.  This is a mild storm compared to the usual ones we get here.

Are your grandkids really coming for 54 days?  Or did you put the wrong #?  That is a loooong visit.  Aug 3 you will need a nice 20 gal tank for the coming Koi couple.  They are used to bare bottom and  fake wood with a few anubias on it.  They spawn on the fake log.  My water is high ph, about 9, and full of minerals, very hard.  They will like your conditions.
Barb

Barb, I meant 5 days lol. I would go crazy if I had them for 54 days lol. My water is about a 6.8 with a tds of 90 out of the tap. Sulawesi shrimp would love your water.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I'm so sorry about your fry, Willie.  If you want to give the pair another chance try this.  Start giving the pair a feeding of newly hatch bbs when they first show signs of wanting to spawn.  Adult rams love it and feeding live stuff is good to condition them for breeding.  Also, when the fry free swim, the pair won't consider it a foreign invader like might have been the case with the egg yoke.  Remember, the pair is still figuring out what they are supposed to do with fry.

It's on and off sunny and overcast with humidity through the roof today.  I think the rain has moved on but we may get a shower.  Yesterday and the day before we got a soaking rain for a couple of hours.  It was exactly what my soil needed.  I'm taking a chance and have laundry drying on my redneck clothes line which is really the fence.

Judy invited me to pick some of her tomatoes so that's where I went this morning.  They have a HUGE garden that feeds several families.  I have their 'maters getting more perfectly ripe on window sills in the grooming room.  I bought canning jars today and I'm really looking forward to making my own tomato sauce from 2 different varieties of fresh home grown tomatoes.

I'll be making Sichuan Bang Bang Chicken over Ramen noodles for lunch.  I'm going to experiment and try it with deep fried tofu coated with corn starch.  I'll serve it over boiled and slightly crisped ramen noodles.  I hope it works because i'm getting hungry.

It is absolutely wonderful to have so much less pain that I can enjoy life rather than just struggle my way through it.

Oh!  Good news!  I got a big check from the wholesaler I sent 100 rams to.  And since my back has not been causing me so much misery I've started advertising them on AB.  I sold another 8 today.  I've been selling them in groups of 8 for $150. and all my auctions sell fast.  Willie, you have breeding pairs of these rams.  Don't give up on them.  They can make money for you.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 08, 2021, 12:03:17 PM
I'm so sorry about your fry, Willie.  If you want to give the pair another chance try this.  Start giving the pair a feeding of newly hatch bbs when they first show signs of wanting to spawn.  Adult rams love it and feeding live stuff is good to condition them for breeding.  Also, when the fry free swim, the pair won't consider it a foreign invader like might have been the case with the egg yoke.  Remember, the pair is still figuring out what they are supposed to do with fry.

Thanks Liz. I agree with you 100%. I am definitely not giving up on them. These are youngsters and they are just learning like I am.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...hi guys and gals...

...I'm doing more prep for the surgery Monday... I did a water change while using my walker today... not too hard to do with the way I have my fishroom set up...

...Liz,, I know exactly what you mean about the pain...since we  switched to Tramadol I feel like I did when I first started taking Hydrocodone...much better!...

...just found out about a friend in our old Florence neighborhood that died in March...so Lucy made a card for his wife and we're sending it off today...I sure hope she doesn't think we neglected her...

...I'm hoping that your rams just move the fry to a "safer" spot, Willie...My angels, electric blue acara and kribs did that all the time...
...I'm starting to want to breed fish now...after the knees heal I think I will do that...to do so, I really should set up a bbs hatching area in the fishroom...

...the 54 days hit me kinda strong...I'll bet they don't allow kids to stay in the community with you any longer than 2 weeks, right Willie?...I mean, that's one of the perks of living in a 55+ community...I like that...I remember that when Lucy and I first moved into one and Emery was still a minor, we had decided that if anything happened to her Mom we would move in order to take custody of her and raise her...

...Looks like you all are not getting the brunt of the hurricane, so far!...I hope it stays that way for you...

...okay, that's all for now...Have a good rest of your day!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on July 08, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
...hi guys and gals...

...I'm doing more prep for the surgery Monday... I did a water change while using my walker today... not too hard to do with the way I have my fishroom set up...

...Liz,, I know exactly what you mean about the pain...since we  switched to Tramadol I feel like I did when I first started taking Hydrocodone...much better!...

...just found out about a friend in our old Florence neighborhood that died in March...so Lucy made a card for his wife and we're sending it off today...I sure hope she doesn't think we neglected her...

...I'm hoping that your rams just move the fry to a "safer" spot, Willie...My angels, electric blue acara and kribs did that all the time...
...I'm starting to want to breed fish now...after the knees heal I think I will do that...to do so, I really should set up a bbs hatching area in the fishroom...

...the 54 days hit me kinda strong...I'll bet they don't allow kids to stay in the community with you any longer than 2 weeks, right Willie?...I mean, that's one of the perks of living in a 55+ community...I like that...I remember that when Lucy and I first moved into one and Emery was still a minor, we had decided that if anything happened to her Mom we would move in order to take custody of her and raise her...

...Looks like you all are not getting the brunt of the hurricane, so far!...I hope it stays that way for you...

Yep that's what fat fingers do for you. It's 5 days and they are allowed to stay up to 30 days per year. I don't know if there is a maximum days per stay. I also know that a few people have already violated that rule. I won't be one of them.  mim 
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on July 08, 2021, 03:38:06 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on July 08, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
...hi guys and gals...

Yep that's what fat fingers do for you. It's 5 days and they are allowed to stay up to 30 days per year. I don't know if there is a maximum days per stay. I also know that a few people have already violated that rule. I won't be one of them.  mim
|^| |^| |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron