• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 05:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 136
Total: 136

Raising fry artificially

Started by Mugwump, October 22, 2012, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

So what method to you folks use for pulling a spawn, and raising away from the parents?
Any chemicals??..Methylene blue? Malacite green? Acriflavin? Hydrogen peroxide?..other?
Aeration?...air stone? rigid tubing?..
What size vessel?..gallon jar? 2 1/2 gal?, 5 gallon?...other?
What's you first food for feeding?..bbs?, microworms? vinegar eels?....other?
How many water changes do you do?....how large?....source of water?
When do you transfer the fry to a larger tank?...how big a tank?..how do you do the transfer?
What other tricks can you share for better results??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I use gallon jars to hatch in. Mostly I use methylene blue but occasionally I use HP. I do 50% WC daily. And feed vinegar eels & bbs  36-48hrs after free swimming.

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

The time or two I've done it I've dribbled straight meth blue over the eggs on the slate then moved it right into the 60 gallon tank the babies will grow up in.  I feed BBS and, as soon as they'll take it, crushed flake.  At first I don't need to change much water at first because of the volume of water in the tank.  Once they start really chowing down I change 50% daily.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

How do you get them to eat the bbs in a 60 gallon without over feeding Liz?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

What's your survival rate with fry??...Being a 60 gallon tank, how do you make sure all the fry get food. One of the reasons most folks use smaller tanks, is to keep the fry in close proximity to the food. The fry are moved after they all start to eat well, and the fragile ones have been weeded out.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just feed a ton of BBS, same as we do with baby Discus.  It looks like they're swimming in a cloud of BBS.  Later, I vacuum the bottom of the dead BBS.  The only ones I loose are the ones that I accidently suck up during WC.  After a week or two I put a Magnum HOT on the tank and cover the intake with a sponge.  It's turned off when I feed and then back on a couple of hours later.

I'm not advocating my way by any means.  It's just the way I have done it and it worked for me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 22, 2012, 10:50:47 AM
I just feed a ton of BBS, same as we do with baby Discus.  It looks like they're swimming in a cloud of BBS.  Later, I vacuum the bottom of the dead BBS.  The only ones I loose are the ones that I accidently suck up during WC.  After a week or two I put a Magnum HOT on the tank and cover the intake with a sponge.  It's turned off when I feed and then back on a couple of hours later.

I'm not advocating my way by any means.  It's just the way I have done it and it worked for me.

Interesting.....thanks for the explaination.....the 60gal absorbs most of the HOT mag turbulence too....
Jon

LizStreithorst

The sponge on the intake slows it down, too.  I have to squeese that sponge every day.  It cruds up fast.