• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 11:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Snails

Started by wsantia1, June 23, 2021, 10:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I think I have some bladder snail hatchlings in my blue shrimp tank. I don't know where they could have come from because I haven't introduced anything into this tank in months.

I'm very happy with this tank because my blue shrimp population is growing nicely and I see a lot of babies. This tank is a mixture of shrimp that I got from Liz and a guy on the band site.

The guy's shrimp were blue diamonds. It looks like the mixture has produced some nice blue dreams. Now I am trying to grow the colony to over 100 shrimp.

Stay tuned.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I had snails show up out of nowhere in my shrimp tanks, too.  I don't know what they're called.  They're tiny little flat things.  I mush them against the glass whenever I see them.  It figured that another type of snail now that I've about won the war against the MTS.

Willie, I got a group of 12 blue shrimp several weeks ago.  So far I have seen no females with ping pong balls in their bellies.  Let me know when you have some for sale.  12 shrimp don't go very far in filling up the 20 gallon I have them in.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Those little flat snails, I have no name for them, are really bad.  Get some assassins in that tank ASAP.  I had a few turn into millions several years ago.  Ass. snail will take care of them.  They are wicked snails.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on June 23, 2021, 02:19:56 PM
Those little flat snails, I have no name for them, are really bad.  Get some assassins in that tank ASAP.  I had a few turn into millions several years ago.  Ass. snail will take care of them.  They are wicked snails.
Barb

That's what they are Barb. Little flat snails. I've been squishing them against the glass. They popped up out of nowhere. Won't assassin snails eat some of my shrimplets?
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 23, 2021, 11:38:57 AM
I had snails show up out of nowhere in my shrimp tanks, too.  I don't know what they're called.  They're tiny little flat things.  I mush them against the glass whenever I see them.  It figured that another type of snail now that I've about won the war against the MTS.

Willie, I got a group of 12 blue shrimp several weeks ago.  So far I have seen no females with ping pong balls in their bellies.  Let me know when you have some for sale. 12 shrimp don't go very far in filling up the 20 gallon I have them in.

Liz, hopefully this colony begins to to bloom soon. I'll be happy to send you some.
Willie

wsantia1

I did some research on the shrimp facebook page and these snails are called Limpets. huh They breed like crazy but don't bother the shrimp. I think the assassin snail is probably the way to go.

I had some assassin snails a while back but after they ate all of the snails they started eating each other and then they were all gone. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

Thanks for finding out.  I had heard through the grape vine that the snails do eat baby shrimp.  So much for the grape vine...
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Willie and Liz, I have 1 or 2 Ass. snails in each shrimp tank, even though I don't have any other snails for them to eat  It is true that when Ass. snails run out of other snails to eat they do eat each other.  Then you are left with one large one!  But when I feed the shrimp the Ass. snails "run" right over to the food and eat along with the shrimp.  I have never seen a snail eating a shrimp, but I bet they would eat a dead one.

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on June 23, 2021, 05:54:30 PM
Willie and Liz, I have 1 or 2 Ass. snails in each shrimp tank, even though I don't have any other snails for them to eat  It is true that when Ass. snails run out of other snails to eat they do eat each other.  Then you are left with one large one!  But when I feed the shrimp the Ass. snails "run" right over to the food and eat along with the shrimp.  I have never seen a snail eating a shrimp, but I bet they would eat a dead one.

That's good to know Barb. I'll keep my eye on this infestation and if I see it building too quickly I'll get some assassins.
Willie