• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 12:37:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 167
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 168
Total: 168

Selling on consignment

Started by b125killer, September 14, 2013, 04:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I was at the LFS today and was talking about selling angels on consignment. There isn't anything set yet as I'm not to sure. It sounds like A good ideal. The store would set aside a tank just for my angels and sell them for me. the only draw back is that if they don't sell with in the time frame set. I have to take them back or donate them to the store. It would probably be donation at that point. I wouldn't have the space to take them back. Also we didn't talk about pricing. I could go with lots of smaller fish and wouldn't get much per fish but make up on quantity. or larger fish that would be more money but harder to sell. I do know that they sell there small nickle size angels for $8 dollars and have sold my angels for $20. The ones I have sold to them are pre breeder size. If I just sell to them it's 25% of there mark up. so I only get $5 per fish. unless it's a rare big angel. I can get a little more for them. It isn't that bad if I can get them a few dozen fish. I just wounder if I do a consignment if I could get more per fish?     
Scott

Mugwump

If you're selling on consignment, the first question should be...what's the stores 'take'....flat dollar per fish, or percentage?.....that'll tell you what you need to sell them for in order to make 'X' dollars.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's one of the things we didn't talk too much about. Me Rob and Darcy need to work out the price. But it would be a better way to sell them then craigslist. I haven't sold that many that way. I have sold more off Facebook than any where. For some reason people like to get there fish from the pet store.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 14, 2013, 04:45:27 PM
That's one of the things we didn't talk too much about. Me Rob and Darcy need to work out the price. But it would be a better way to sell them then craigslist. I haven't sold that many that way. I have sold more off Facebook than any where. For some reason people like to get there fish from the pet store.

Well, time the consignment period to end coinciding with an up coming swap..what doesn't sell, the store grew out for you....then bag em for GCCA
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 15, 2013, 12:17:34 AM
Mugs....You one smart cookie!
I'll second that. Maybe I'll set up a meeting with them after the swap. I just need to find out a few more details. So far it sounds like they will set aside a tank just for my fish. They give me a set amount of time to sell the fish. I have to take the hit on dead loss. Witch isn't that bad I have to take that loss if the fish die at my house. I need to negotiate the price or percentage That I would get. If I can't get any better than 25% then it might not be worth the time. I think They should do better than 25%. I'm taking more risk of loss, If I just sell to them they take all the risk. One of the plus side is I don't have to deal with people. My fish will be on sale in a pet store. more opportunity to sell if people see them. I do understand that buying fish off craigslist is risky. Also It's not that easy to sell fish off there. If I can sell off fish I don't want to keep for breeding faster, I could do more breeding. That goes with too many fish not enough tank space. This could be  interesting and worth it to try. What's the worst that could happen?     
Scott

JR

If the $ are there I would give it a shot.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Another thought...you set the price and offer the store half...??....ask for example $10....LFS gets $5...yada yada....they'll bite....win win...note: don't go too high, they won't sell....ask a good going $$
Jon

b125killer

I know that they sell most of what I sold them for $20.00 they called them specialty angels. They are double in size and look so much better than there stock angels. I'll have to negotiate a price for them. If It's only 5 per fish I would be better just selling them to the store.
I would like to give it a shot. The only thing I can think of is losing out on dead loss. I'm sure they will sell. Everything I have sold them before has been sold in two weeks or less.
Scott

Mugwump

Agreed, get what you can....then bag em and bring em to a swap
Jon

ilroost

I say give it a try, you never know.
If it doesn't work out then don't give it a second try