• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 01:08:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

All inverts love squash/zucchinni

Started by LizStreithorst, June 10, 2021, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My squash has just started producing.  I had been feeding my inverts with a homemade mix of some fresh but mostly frozen veggies mixed with calcium carbonate and held together with agar agar.  The like it just fine.

But today I sliced my first nice squash, removed the seeds and blanched it for 2 minutes.  Then I strained it and plunged it in to cold running water since I rarely make ice.  When It was cool I dropped it into the tanks with the inverts.  Holy moly what a feeding frenzy!  The snots were all over it immediately as were the shrimp.  The Mystery Snails are taking longer.  BTW, I've found out that the snails are also meat eaters.  I always stick 1/4 of a freeze dried tubifex cube on the glass for them. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

I will get a zucchini to feed my shrimp, had not thought of that!I wonder what they would do with a cherry tomato?  I am growing them, have a nice batch ripening if the rain doesn't turn them to mush or make them explode from all the water in them.

LizStreithorst

I'd remove the seeds in the middle of the tomato.  From what I understand a tomato is mostly a bag of water. 
Always move forward. Never look back.