• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 03:10:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

It's Saturday Once Again

Started by wsantia1, May 01, 2021, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. It's another cool and windy day here with the temp at currently at 51 degrees and the high temp getting up to 66F with plenty of sunshine this afternoon. It is pretty windy though. Starting tomorrow we will have highs in the 80s for much of the week.

Not much going on here today so I will be pruning some java moss from the shrimp tank, doing a water change on the turtle tank and moving a couple fish around so I can be ready to receive some Rams from Liz.

After acclimation to their new tank the Green Jades appear to be doing well. It is hard to see them because they are dark green and the tank gravel is black. They also blend in well with the java moss that I put in that tank. Hopefully soon there will be so many that I won't have to strain to see them.  :D

I hope you have a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

..quickly...before we leave for the softball fields...I stopped by the mailbox on the way out yesterday and the plants were there so I took them back the the house and dumped them in a tub of water....

Have a good day, all...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Good to hear the shrimp are doing well, Willie.  I learned my lesson about the color of substrate for shrimp when I first got yellows and put them in a tank with natural gravel.  When I got Ron's bunch I put them in a tank with black sand and I can see them so much better.  Even my reds show up well on their tank with black gravel.  I'm now that I've got the BN in their own tanks I'm seeing little baby reds and yellows all over the place.  If I can ever find a spot to put green shrimp  believe I'll use white sand.

I've had another spawn of long fin albino BN.  I don't know where to put them.  All my pleco tanks are slam full of little babies but I'll have to put the new spawn in the cave with dad in with some of the others.  If I leave them where they are the Rams will scarf them the moment dad releases them from the cave.  I've found myself in a tight spot.  Snots cannot share a tank with shrimp and my Mystery snails cannot go into my big planted tanks because I have assassin snails.  Perhaps I'll move all the rest of the baby Mystery snails to the shrimp tanks from the 5 gallon they are in and put daddy and baby snots in the 5 for the time being.

It'll be overcast all day today and the high will hit 80.  Very comfortable weather for playing outside.  My beans and corn are just coming up.  They're calling for rain all day tomorrow and Monday so I don't have to water.  I have a ton of cleome up in the yard and on the outside perimeter of the flower gardens that I'll move to inside the garden where they belong.  I've got a couple of cannabis plants that I didn't have room for in the vegetable garden.  I'll mix them in with the cleome in the front garden and hope that I don't end up in  jail.  Most everyone comes to the side entrance so I'm just not going to worry about jail.

Hope everyone has a fun day.  Cheers y'all!
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

LOL I forgot I told my Scotty lady to come at 10.  I was still in my jammies piddling in the fish room when she showed up but she didn't care.  She's crazier than I am which is saying a lot.  The scotty was good, but they're a fairly meaty dog for their size and heavy, but she is good for grooming.  Still, I think that my back is shot for the day.  I'm cooking rather than playing outside.

For the past week I've been watching videos by JP the bee man on YouTube.  It makes me yearn for a hive of bees.  A neighbor up the road keeps bees and I'm going to ask if I can watch him work his hives some time.  I'd just love to do this but I can hardly do the things I have to do as it is.  In my condition I don't think I should take on another hobby.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Liz you sure are busy. I putzed around with my shrimp tanks and I am pretty sure I killed 2 blue shrimp. It happened when I pulled out the sponge filter to give it a good squeezing. Both were hitchhikers but I only squeezed one. The other one must have hopped off the sponge because I found him later dried up on the stand. It's a good thing that I have at least one berried female because I'm trying hard to grow this colony.

I pruned java moss from two 5.5 gallon tanks and I got a whole 10G tank full of the stuff. The amazing thing is the pruned 5.5 gallon tanks still look overgrown with moss. I will not be surprised to see some baby shrimp in that 10G tank in a few days. I didn't realize how thick the moss had gotten.
Willie

Barb

Hi everyone, it's been a nice weather day here today.  Way less wind than yesterday.  But so dry I am having to water things I usually wouldn't have to, rain would be enough.  But no rain for a long time.  half my garden would be dead by now if not for hose watering.  Liz I think you have more rain?  Not as dry as here.

Willie, we should now refer to the moss as Aquarium Kudzu I think.  I also have lots and need to thin it out.    And to think this all started with a teaspoon of the stuff about 10 yrs ago.  I wish my other aquarium plants would grow even a little as well as JM.  My baby yellow shrimp are so cute, I watch them with my magnifying glass.  I have 2 more berried females, the ones who wore their saddles when you sent them.  Good luck with the greens!  I hope Liz will send me some reds sometime.  Ron glad your plant box got to you in time, that was a close one.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on May 01, 2021, 06:25:15 PM
Hi everyone, it's been a nice weather day here today.  Way less wind than yesterday.  But so dry I am having to water things I usually wouldn't have to, rain would be enough.  But no rain for a long time.  half my garden would be dead by now if not for hose watering.  Liz I think you have more rain?  Not as dry as here.

Willie, we should now refer to the moss as Aquarium Kudzu I think.  I also have lots and need to thin it out.    And to think this all started with a teaspoon of the stuff about 10 yrs ago.  I wish my other aquarium plants would grow even a little as well as JM.  My baby yellow shrimp are so cute, I watch them with my magnifying glass.  I have 2 more berried females, the ones who wore their saddles when you sent them.  Good luck with the greens!  I hope Liz will send me some reds sometime.  Ron glad your plant box got to you in time, that was a close one.
Barb

Barb the best part of those saddled shrimp is that this is their first spawn. Hopefully they will have many more for you.
Willie

Barb

Yes, they are still small females, with their berries!  I still don't know the life span of these shrimp we all like so much now.  Do you know?  I hope it is 2 years or so??
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on May 02, 2021, 06:53:08 AM
Yes, they are still small females, with their berries!  I still don't know the life span of these shrimp we all like so much now.  Do you know?  I hope it is 2 years or so??
Barb

Two years is the maximum. The ones I sent you are about 4 months old.
Willie