• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 10:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 166
Total: 168

Tuesday's here

Started by Barb, April 06, 2021, 06:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Good morning Willie, Liz, Ron and Dennis!  It is cold outside but brightly sunny for a change.  And windy.  I would like to go to the beach soon but it will have to be warmer.  I can't take cold wind there.

Last night when I did my usual 75% wc on my discus tank, done twice a week, 75 gal, 7 fish, bare bottom, added Safe as usual, no changes at all, I thought my discus would die.  They were all at the top of the tank, some with noses out of the water, a couple sideways, very scary. I added even more Safe, thinking the city put something extra into the water.  I shut off all lights, went to bed and expected to see a tank of dead discus this morning.  I looked in there when I got up, expecting the worst, and they are all just fine!  What the heck happened?  Now I am afraid to do the next wc.  Any ideas?
Barb

Ron Sower

...Hi Barb...that sounds like you might have used tap water that, at least during the winter, has compressed CO2 in it...but I can't image you using straight tap water with discus....other than that it's a mystery to me...

...Hi to the rest of you folks too!... Today I go to the Am. Legion to check out their room for events...hopefully the room will work out for meetings and swap meets...and if so, hopefully I can negotiate a little lower rental fee with them...While I'm in the area, I think I will go check out our old Denny's meeting place too...we used to have 70 people show for our last meetings, but I don't know what it will be like with so much pent up desire for actual meetings...

...meanwhile I will continue to enjoy our 89 degree, sunny weather today! 8) 8) 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Hey everyone. Just getting in from the drug store after getting my refills via telemedicine this morning. It was really crowded in the there because the vaccine is now open to every over 16 in the state of Delaware effective today. Glad I got mine over with.

It is currently 67 degrees but breezy which is causing an allergy flareup but I have drug for that. |^| Our high temp will be 70 this afternoon.

You all have a great day.

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

You may be on to something, Ron.  Barb always uses straight tap.  She's grown 2" Discus to 6+" with it.  Obviously it works for her.  But she doesn't have hard cold winters there.  It got down to the 20's for 2 days not long ago.  Barb, you should ask about this on Simply as I can't come up with anything better than what Ron suggested.  If I were you I would change the Discus' water 30% every day for a couple of days before you go back to your normal 75% every other day.  I was down to 12 degrees a while back for a couple of days but I age my water due to the .4 pH swing so the CO2 gasses off.

I got a little weed pulling and dirt turning done in the veggie garden before my grooming dog showed up.  Then Shan showed up with Jack's antique tiller and turned the new plot and the old plot for me in no time.  Jack told me that I wouldn't be able to control that tiller, and when I saw it work, I believe him.  The thing goes where it wants and take a lot of muscle to keep under control.  It's kind of like a bucking bronco.

I went to the grocery store and bought ingredients for a Chinese recipe that will make tomorrow because it will take some time and Catfish filets for today.  I'd better get cooking 'cause WC is at 4 and after that and just living through part of the day I'm slam wore out.  I guess my back pain is wearing me out to the point where I have many working hours lost because I feel exhausted and just need to lay flat on my back then I fall asleep and don't want to get going again because the pain goes away so much that I fall asleep.  I think I need to suck it up and go to the pain doctor.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Ron, you are right!  I forgot to add my co2 remover to the hose end.  That is just what it was.  Thanks for suggesting it, won't let that happen again.  Yes I do wc's straight from the tap, a hose connected to my shower head.  Drain tanks into the shower drain.  Fast and easy.  Thank goodness no harm done, they are fine today.  Lesson learned.

Yes Liz you may need what a pain Dr, can prescribe, may make you much more comfortable.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 06, 2021, 03:29:40 PM
You may be on to something, Ron.  Barb always uses straight tap.  She's grown 2" Discus to 6+" with it.  Obviously it works for her.  But she doesn't have hard cold winters there.  It got down to the 20's for 2 days not long ago.  Barb, you should ask about this on Simply as I can't come up with anything better than what Ron suggested.  If I were you I would change the Discus' water 30% every day for a couple of days before you go back to your normal 75% every other day.  I was down to 12 degrees a while back for a couple of days but I age my water due to the .4 pH swing so the CO2 gasses off.

I got a little weed pulling and dirt turning done in the veggie garden before my grooming dog showed up.  Then Shan showed up with Jack's antique tiller and turned the new plot and the old plot for me in no time.  Jack told me that I wouldn't be able to control that tiller, and when I saw it work, I believe him.  The thing goes where it wants and take a lot of muscle to keep under control.  It's kind of like a bucking bronco.

I went to the grocery store and bought ingredients for a Chinese recipe that will make tomorrow because it will take some time and Catfish filets for today.  I'd better get cooking 'cause WC is at 4 and after that and just living through part of the day I'm slam wore out.  I guess my back pain is wearing me out to the point where I have many working hours lost because I feel exhausted and just need to lay flat on my back then I fall asleep and don't want to get going again because the pain goes away so much that I fall asleep.  I think I need to suck it up and go to the pain doctor.
|^| |^| |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on April 06, 2021, 07:11:40 PM
Ron, you are right!  I forgot to add my co2 remover to the hose end.  That is just what it was.  Thanks for suggesting it, won't let that happen again.  Yes I do wc's straight from the tap, a hose connected to my shower head.  Drain tanks into the shower drain.  Fast and easy.  Thank goodness no harm done, they are fine today.  Lesson learned.

Yes Liz you may need what a pain Dr, can prescribe, may make you much more comfortable.
...never heard of it...what is it?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Ron, I made it.  I have a wad of netting, the kind used for bride veils, I have about 50 layers and rubberband it to the end of my hose, the water going through it into the tank has no more of the billions of tiny air bubbles in it.  Works great, just need to never forget it again.
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on April 07, 2021, 07:11:56 AM
Ron, I made it.  I have a wad of netting, the kind used for bride veils, I have about 50 layers and rubberband it to the end of my hose, the water going through it into the tank has no more of the billions of tiny air bubbles in it.  Works great, just need to never forget it again.
Barb
... |^| |^| |^|clever!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron