• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Stormy Thursday

Started by wsantia1, February 18, 2021, 08:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Missed checking in yesterday because I was on the road to DC and back and then spent a good deal of time in the grocery stores getting ready for today's storm.

We are currently at 28 degrees and are under a wintry mix. I would prefer snow to this junk but it is what it is. It will be this way through tomorrow afternoon.

It seems that my Black rams spawn is going south. Ever since Saturday I've been waking up to loses in the mornings and now I am down to 18 fry left out of well over 100 to start with.

In my opinion these guys are more delicate that Angels and I am guilty of overfeeding. Even though I've been doing a couple of water changes per day that may not be enough to offset the feedings and dead fry. Well back to the drawing board for me. huh

I still do have 5 healthy adults remaining so maybe a couple will pair up from this bunch.

Hopefully you guy are all staying warm and dry. Ron you too. mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Good morning Willie.  You hunker down during the terrible weather.  What size tank do you keep your Ram breeding pairs in?  I keep mine in 10's and 20's and give them large daily water change.  Although it's said they like planted tanks, I find it much easier to keep water prams stable in BB tanks with plants attached to driftwood.  I would say that they are more difficult than Angels so I treat mind same as I do my Discus.

I had a pipe burst this morning.  I don't think the water had been running for long but it will still be a cold, nasty, wet, muddy fix.  I'm not looking forward to it but I'll have to get it done.  It's 37 out now, but won't go above 40 this afternoon.  Then back down to the deep freeze.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 18, 2021, 09:09:49 AM
Good morning Willie.  You hunker down during the terrible weather.  What size tank do you keep your Ram breeding pairs in?  I keep mine in 10's and 20's and give them large daily water change.  Although it's said they like planted tanks, I find it much easier to keep water prams stable in BB tanks with plants attached to driftwood.  I would say that they are more difficult than Angels so I treat mind same as I do my Discus.

I had a pipe burst this morning.  I don't think the water had been running for long but it will still be a cold, nasty, wet, muddy fix.  I'm not looking forward to it but I'll have to get it done.  It's 37 out now, but won't go above 40 this afternoon.  Then back down to the deep freeze.

Hey Liz, I'm sorry to hear about your busted pipe. Are you going to fix it yourself? If so good lick getting it done in that mess.

I had the Ram fry in a 5.5 gallon tank. Obviously too small for these guys. I have a 20L sitting on the floor that I will start getting ready for the next possible spawn.
Willie

Barb

Hi Willie and Liz, sorry about the loss of the ram fry, and even sorrier for your busted pipe Liz.  Is it inside or outside?  Here is is just cold and pouring rain all day today until late tomorrow they say.  And windy too.  But not too bad compared to so much of the rest of the country.  I feel fine,no affects at all from my shot yesterday.  I am doing some sewing today.  Hope you both do OK the rest of today.  Hi Ron!  Dennis, if you see this, tell us how you are.
Barb

LizStreithorst

It could have been much worse.  It cracked at a fitting and was able to get it fixed fairly easily.  The worst part was draining all the water away from the area surrounding the broken pipe.  The ground was saturated which make the digging easy, but it looks like I was digging a pond out there.

wsantia1

Liz that definitely look like a pond in the making. I am basically iced in. We got a couple of inches of snow early but then is turned into sleet and then rain now it is frozen over.

I shoveled my sidewalk and walkway and I salted down stuff but I had to stop when my back started talking to me. huh I think I stopped just in time. I will know better tomorrow.

Willie

LizStreithorst

I hope you're not hurting bad this morning, Willie.  I got lucky.  I feel fine today.