• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 147
Total: 149

Today Is My Lucky Day

Started by wsantia1, January 09, 2021, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

A few minutes ago I took my flashlight and shined it into a pot in my 20g tank that has 4 rams and much to my surprise there is a nice size clutch of eggs.

I am now watching to see who is the guardian of  these eggs because according to Liz that would be the mom oops Dad.

Fingers crossed right now.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 09, 2021, 03:45:53 PM
A few minutes ago I took my flashlight and shined it into a pot in my 20g tank that has 4 rams and much to my surprise there is a nice size clutch of eggs.

I am now watching to see who is the guardian of  these eggs because according to Liz that would be the mom oops Dad.

Fingers crossed right now.
...well, looks like you got it right for them...! |^| |^| |^|  ...nice going... 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Congrats Willie.  Those eggs sure are tiny, aren't they?  It will be several days before they hatch and several more before the free swim.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2021, 05:53:21 AM
Congrats Willie.  Those eggs sure are tiny, aren't they?  It will be several days before they hatch and several more before the free swim.

Thanks Liz. They are small. I can't wait. so far the parents are spending a lot of time with them. Sort of like taking turns.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Today has been my unlucky day.  Seems I'm having all my plumbing problems in one fell swoop.  I have another one today.  I'll try Liquid Plumber first but I may be renting a snake tomorrow.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2021, 02:08:03 PM
Today has been my unlucky day.  Seems I'm having all my plumbing problems in one fell swoop.  I have another one today.  I'll try Liquid Plumber first but I may be renting a snake tomorrow.

Sorry about your plumbing problems Liz. I hope that liquid works for you. It used to work for me.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 10, 2021, 08:44:28 AM

Thanks Liz. They are small. I can't wait. so far the parents are spending a lot of time with them. Sort of like taking turns.
Well it looks like these eggs were laid earlier that I thought. Wigglers today.
Willie

LizStreithorst

After a few times you'll be able to read the pair's mind.  You'll be able to tell when they're getting in the mood.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 10, 2021, 02:36:56 PM
After a few times you'll be able to read the pair's mind.  You'll be able to tell when they're getting in the mood.

Thanks for that info. I'm looking forward to that.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 10, 2021, 02:30:42 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on January 10, 2021, 08:44:28 AM

Well it looks like these eggs were laid earlier that I thought. Wigglers today.

Update: It looks like the parents did move the eggs/fry. Unfortunately when I was doing a water change yesterday I may have syphoned some of them down the drain.

Not all is lost the good news is that while I tried to clean their tank some more today the parents attacked me and lo and behold they were still guarding some fry.

I saw maybe 20. Now the parents are very mad at me and attack when I approach the tank. Hopefully this experience will reinforce their protective instinct for future spawns.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I don't even want to know how many times I've siphoned fry down the drain.  I siphon into a bucket now until they learn to stay away from the danger.