• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 138
Total: 139

First Monday

Started by LizStreithorst, January 04, 2021, 09:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

After having missed two days in a row I figured I'd be first today on this first day of the new year.

Miss Chickie has started spending time out side by herself for a half hour at a time.  This began the day before yesterday.  She's exploring more but still staying close to the back door.  She comes when she is called which is a blessing.

Bruno gave me a huge scare last night.  He vomited at around 9 o'clock last night which I don't remember him ever having done before.  I was in bed reading at the time..  He did the same around 1o:30.  It was just phlegm so I though little of it.  Around 2:30 he seemed to struggle to get out of bed.  It was dark so I couldn't really see, but I was concerned.  I like to wake up in the wee hours at some point because my heart failure dog is on lasix and needs to go out to pee.  The others go out with her and pee at the same time.  After they were out, I turned on the light.  I let them back in when I saw them standing at the door and Bruno was no where to be seen.

I went out and heard a rustling in the leaves on the chicken house side of the house.  I saw Bruno staggering around out there.  I picked him up and brought him back to bed.  He was acting like he was having repeated seizers, although I've never seen seizures that involved vomiting hours before.  I held him and he would go stiff on an off until he finally relaxed and we both went to sleep.

I prayed that I wouldn't loose another best friend at the start of a new year.  This morning he is perfectly fine.  If this happens again I'll take him to the vet, but this being a one time thing I don't see how they could get any definitive diagnosis.  He's not the type to pick up weird things and eat them.  I keep no poisons at all around mostly because I have dogs.  I'm at a loss...but no longer in a panic.

I will go this morning and pay my land taxes.  The thought that I owe almost $1000. had been weighing heavily on me.  But with the new stimulus check I won't have to take the last of my measly savings out of the back which is what I'd have had to do otherwise.

Hope all of y'all have a good day today.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Good morning Liz and everyone. I hope Bruno is going to be alright. That sounded like a very alarming episode last night.

It's a typical Delaware winter day here with the high temp getting up to 45 degrees under partly cloudy skies. There is only a 5% chance of rain which is good considering all of the rain we had over the last couple of day.

I need to work in the fishroom this morning finishing cleaning up. While down there I will be looking in on 2 Pitch Black Rams that I got from Liz that are cozying up to each other in a 20g high. The one I think is a female is spending a lot of time in a clay pot.

The other 4 PB rams I got from Liz are in another tank trying to sort things out. huh I love these little fish.

Have a great day everyone.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

....good morning...! :)

...sun's out...no clouds...41 now and going to 66!...it's a good day here...!

...we had our SAS board meeting last night...2 hours...good input...need to meet again Saturday to determine what we want to do about actually becoming a legitimate entity...I.E. incorporate or now...Our board has grown strong and so have our chairpersons...only really one weak member (that's my personal opinion)...really does nothing but ask questions without accepting responsibility of taking actions on his/her ideas...

...Liz, how is Bruno as this day moves forward...sounds to me like he ingested something not good for him...also, on taxes...ugh!  Sometimes I think we never own land, we just rent it from the local gu'mint!... ;)...anybody remember the Snuffy Smith cartoon strip?..Is it still in the papers?...

...I have several chores today, so I'll try to hit them early before knees and back get too bad...

...keep on keepin' on folks....we have a whole new year ahead of us!...

BTW, Barb...you feeling any older today????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 04, 2021, 09:56:04 AM
Good morning Liz and everyone. I hope Bruno is going to be alright. That sounded like a very alarming episode last night.

It's a typical Delaware winter day here with the high temp getting up to 45 degrees under partly cloudy skies. There is only a 5% chance of rain which is good considering all of the rain we had over the last couple of day.

I need to work in the fishroom this morning finishing cleaning up. While down there I will be looking in on 2 Pitch Black Rams that I got from Liz that are cozying up to each other in a 20g high. The one I think is a female is spending a lot of time in a clay pot.

The other 4 PB rams I got from Liz are in another tank trying to sort things out. huh I love these little fish.

Have a great day everyone.

LizStreithorst

Willie, do yourself a favor and work it out yourself for the Dutch Blues.  Take a male and female and move them into a 10 gallon tank by themselves.  When the female gets a big red belly she will lay and the male will follow and do his job.

If the female is in the pot she is likely soon to spawn.  After she does her part and dad does his, she will go about her business and the male will be the one in the pot fanning his new babies until they free swim.

Bruno has been fine so far, but Miss Chickie gave me a scare.  I guess I'm still spooky from last night.  I went to let her in, called her, and there was no peeping and no Miss Chickie.  I finally found her in a new safe hiding place behind a water storage container.  She did get up when I saw her and scratched and pecked around but she had no desire at all to come inside.  I'm fine with that as long as she comes in at dark.  If not, I'll have to catch her in an extra large Discus net.  I'm afraid of possums at night.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 04, 2021, 11:29:57 AM
Willie, do yourself a favor and work it out yourself for the Dutch Blues.  Take a male and female and move them into a 10 gallon tank by themselves.  When the female gets a big red belly she will lay and the male will follow and do his job.

If the female is in the pot she is likely soon to spawn.  After she does her part and dad does his, she will go about her business and the male will be the one in the pot fanning his new babies until they free swim.

Bruno has been fine so far, but Miss Chickie gave me a scare.  I guess I'm still spooky from last night.  I went to let her in, called her, and there was no peeping and no Miss Chickie.  I finally found her in a new safe hiding place behind a water storage container.  She did get up when I saw her and scratched and pecked around but she had no desire at all to come inside.  I'm fine with that as long as she comes in at dark.  If not, I'll have to catch her in an extra large Discus net.  I'm afraid of possums at night.

Thanks for the advice Liz. I'll be looking for that fat red belly. Is the red easy to see on the pitch blacks?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Hi everybody, cold and gray and damp today.  But at least the last 2 were warmish, very thankful for that.  Ron, I don't feel older, just the opposite, I feel younger, since I am not completely stressed out with work and worry now.  The last couple years aged me, now I need to reverse that. 
Liz hope Bruno does well now, my son's dog did just that last week and then was fine.  We think he ate something he shouldn't have. 
Ron and Willie, shrimp guys, have you seen the green ones?  Wow, spectacular, I sure would like a few of those some day.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Ron, the only ways you can tell with the Pitch Blacks is by size and behavior.  The belly on the female will be bigger but since the fish are so black you can't see the red.  If you don't see some action by the time I have more ready I'll send you another pair.  I've never guessed wrong on sex yet but like I said, it's hard to tell the difference so I may have made a mistake with yours.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 04, 2021, 02:17:43 PM
Ron, the only ways you can tell with the Pitch Blacks is by size and behavior.  The belly on the female will be bigger but since the fish are so black you can't see the red.  If you don't see some action by the time I have more ready I'll send you another pair.  I've never guessed wrong on sex yet but like I said, it's hard to tell the difference so I may have made a mistake with yours.
...I think you mean Willie...but I don't mind...he's a good guy! :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on January 04, 2021, 01:40:32 PM
Hi everybody, cold and gray and damp today.  But at least the last 2 were warmish, very thankful for that.  Ron, I don't feel older, just the opposite, I feel younger, since I am not completely stressed out with work and worry now.  The last couple years aged me, now I need to reverse that. 
Liz hope Bruno does well now, my son's dog did just that last week and then was fine.  We think he ate something he shouldn't have. 
Ron and Willie, shrimp guys, have you seen the green ones?  Wow, spectacular, I sure would like a few of those some day.
Barb
...Green ones are good looking...Mike Coleman (my go to shrimp advisor) has some coming along...there are several different shades with different common names...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Ron Sower on January 05, 2021, 12:33:55 AM

I don't think this is the first time I've done that.  Sorry Willie.  Sorry Ron.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 05, 2021, 08:32:31 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on January 05, 2021, 12:33:55 AM

I don't think this is the first time I've done that.  Sorry Willie.  Sorry Ron.
...it's funny...I used to get you and Barb mixed up here before I'd learned to recognize you by how you wrote...one of you would remark something like, "Wonder what he mixes us up like that?''... ;D ;D ;D  But it's  okay with me...Willie and I can keep us straight...I think!!!  ;) ;) ;)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I hope neither of you get senile and start confusing yourselves.