• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 04:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

The good side of it

Started by Jdmcfast, October 21, 2012, 08:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

Besides the one with popeye the other angels are doing good and I am seeing lots of pairing potentials and more than half have their tubes down making it easy to sex them lol. The two DD super veils are definitely males and fighting like stepchildren on a sugar high LOL. The smokey pinoy that does not have popeye is definitely a female and look like a little over half of the koi are female.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Jdmcfast

Well I came home today to find one of the obvious male DD super veils cowering in the corner beat up pretty bad so I have yet another angel in a tank by itself for the time being!

Josh

LizStreithorst

Sometimes it's tough.  I'm sorry you're having problems.  How is the sick one doing?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Although his eyes don't look much better they do not look any worse and he is swimming around and acting a lot more active and happy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed?

Josh

LizStreithorst

It sounds like you're keeping his water clean.   It's the best thing you can do for a sick fish.  If it doesn't clear up with very clean water (flopping on the bottom WC daily) you are dealing with a bacterial issue that rarely has a good outcome. 

I hope the seller knows about this.

Jdmcfast

Yes I have contacted the seller and he claims to have no knowledge of the situation

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Jdmcfast

I got atleast 3 females that will spawn in the next 24 hours. 2 of them seem to be paired up with one male though that is my first experience with that

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

I've seen the same thing with Discus.  When they start to get down to it, the stronger female will drive the weaker one off.

These fish had white poo when you first got them.  The seller says it's because he fed them Mysis shrimp.  Yeah, right...He takes no responsibility for the fish that you have that is so sick. 

I am not there so I can't see for myself, but from what you've said I would give all the fish you got from that seller a good Metro treatment.  Healthy parents make helathy fry.   Parents with parasites pass them on to their offspring.

Off my soap box now :-[

Jdmcfast

It's metro the name of the med our just the active ingredient?

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

Metronidazole is the generic name.  It is also called Flagyl.  You can fine it here:http://www.jehmco.com/html/medications.html  They are also very helpful to people who have problems with easy things, like me.  I can't do math.  Grams per liter 'bout kills me.  Trust me, you will like them.  Tell them what's going on.  They will help you.

Jo

Sorry for you problems Josh! Hope all is well soon!
Jo

Jdmcfast

Will metro kill off good bacteria in filters? Effect plants?

Josh

Mugwump

It's said that it has minimum effect on bio, when dosed properly.....

Treatment.....
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/internal/hexamitiasis.shtml
about...
METRONIDAZOLE:
USE: Metronidazoles primary use is for the treatment of anaerobic gram positive bacteria including those that produce beta-lactamase. However, it is not effective against aerobic bacterium. As well Metronidazole is effective for some protozoa (especially internal flagellates and external). Due to Metronidazole effectiveness against anaerobic bacteria (by selectively blocking some of the cell functions of anaerobic bacteria) this drug along with Neomycin is a good choice for bloating of the digestive tract (common in goldfish). Metronidazole selectively blocks some of the cell functions in anaerobic bacteria, resulting in their demise. Metronidazole is also a good choice for many protozoan parasite infections, especially for Cryptocaryon in marine aquaria.
Metronidazole is also effective used in combination or by itself for internal parasites such as Nematodes or Trematodes. In marine aquarium infections is where Metronidazole really shines as it is very effective internally and since Marine fish are always drinking the water around them, medication is easily transported to the infected area. In Freshwater, treatment can be improved by soaking food as well and this is still an effective freshwater treatment as well.

Common aquatic uses for Metronidazole; Hole in the head disease (hexamita), chilodonella, plistophora (parasite disease usually seen in neons and cardinals that causes loss of color, darting, and eventually death, please this article: ?Neon Tetra Disease? ), salt water ich, bloat.
Metronidazole can be combined with Nitrofurazone and Methylene Blue (1/2 dose for the Methylene blue) for an alternative treatment for anchor worms, especially for Trichlorfon sensitive fish. Metronidazole is unique in some of its effectiveness and is excellent to combine with other treatments especially when affecting a cure is difficult (such as many internal parasites). A company, Aquatronics (that unfortunately went out of business), used Metronidazole in many of its multi antibiotic remedies as it very useful in combination.

DOSAGE: 250-500 mg per 20 gallons. Treat every 48 hours (24 hours for severe problems) with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.

To prepare medicated fish food with flake, FD, or frozen fish food; Use One Measure (2-5 gallon "in tank" dose) of Metronidazole per 15 minute fish food soaking for an average 60 gallon bio load aquarium (I use "just enough" water to mix fish food and Neomycin).
After soak, pour entire contents into aquarium.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Well you guys were right I think they are all sick! I ordered some metro and found someone
On a local forum to cover me til I get it so hopefully I will stay that tonight. Can I do the marsden 1& 2 along with the metro?
BTW one angel did spawn last night but the other pair attacked her and ate all the eggs as she laid them!
They are some aggressive little boogers!:'(

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

LizStreithorst

Sorry I can't help with the mixing of meds.  If you bought your Metro from Jhemco they would be able to tell you.