• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Cool Monday

Started by wsantia1, September 21, 2020, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. It's going to be a cool and breezy day here on the Delmarva peninsula. It is currently 60 degrees but it was 43 degrees when I got up. Our high temp will be 65F with wind gust getting up to 30 mph.

We had a power outage that lasted 2.5 hours last night and when I went down to the basement this morning I saw a big pool of water on my basement floor. My old 75g lost about 10-15 % of its water and it was all on the floor. I got it up with my shop vac and there were no losses of fish though I forgot to check the shrimp tanks. huh

I initially thought the flood knocked out my power but I found out the whole neighborhood lost power. Now I am troubleshooting what caused the flood. Since the tank is around 20 years old and I have new 75g sitting on the floor I will replace it but I am dumbfounded about this leak. Scratching my head right now. huh   
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

...Hello all...

...Willie...did you figure out the leak cause or source?...

...I should be outside right now....it's only 87 degrees!...not supposed to go over 100 today...yep, fall is in the air! 8) 8) 8)

...when I went to my LFS yesterday, I took some of my dragonstone and asked if he could try to sell on consignment,,,we worked out a deal and I left 3 pieces there...we'll see how this works out...

...dermatologist appointment, bill paying, and couple other things today...

...enjoy your day, folks...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Hi guys, it's very cloudy, windy and coolish here today.  Almost like yours Willie, but not as cold at night,  in gthe 50's here.  Fall is definitely coming.  Sorry about your flood, hope you find out the cause.  What fish were in it?  Overflowing filter perhaps?  I had that happen more than once with the HOB types, after the power went out and came back on.  The old Aqua Clears were bad at that.

I spread a bunch o mulch so far today, that is enough.  Maybe 15 big bags of it.  Still have about 25 or more left to spread.  I almost covered a cute little leopard frog, but he got out of my way just in time.

Ron sounds like a good rock business you have going on there!
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on September 21, 2020, 01:56:20 PM
Hi guys, it's very cloudy, windy and coolish here today.  Almost like yours Willie, but not as cold at night,  in gthe 50's here.  Fall is definitely coming.  Sorry about your flood, hope you find out the cause.  What fish were in it?  Overflowing filter perhaps?  I had that happen more than once with the HOB types, after the power went out and came back on.  The old Aqua Clears were bad at that.

I spread a bunch o mulch so far today, that is enough.  Maybe 15 big bags of it.  Still have about 25 or more left to spread.  I almost covered a cute little leopard frog, but he got out of my way just in time.

Ron sounds like a good rock business you have going on there!
Barb

No clue as to what happened. Everything around the filter and the edges of the was dry. The filter is a Penn Plax Cascade Filter and it was running perfectly. huh

Update: I decided to refill the tank to see if I could find and leaks and it's been running fine for the last three hours.

I'm thinking that after the power went out the filter was still drawing water out of the tank but without power it couldn't push the return water back up into the tank and the filter (which is on the ground) overflowed.

After the power was restored the filter started back up and everything was back to normal except for the water on the floor. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Well...Such a lovely morning you had this morning, Willie ???  Waking up to a disaster is the worst.

I'm finally climbing out of my funk.  These things have happened to me since I was a teenager.  It always passes so I am thankful for that!

It's overcast and long pants and long sleeves weather here.  They say we'll be having some rain in the next day or two but nothing dramatic, thank goodness.  My dentist was kind for once.  I don't go to him because he's kind.  He is not.  I go because he is good.  This time I kind of stood up to him and from there we came to an agreement about my silly teeth. After teeth I went home and bagged up some of my Dutch Blue Rams and sent them to a guy in New York.

Barb, I dug all my bark mulch in along with a once large now small pile of year old compost.  I don't want to buy mulch twice a year so I'm considering sheet composting from now on at least in the veggie garden.  What do you think?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Hi Liz, good to have you back!  I don't know what sheet composting is.  In your veggie garden just put stuff on it, layers of greens and browns as they are called.  You don't need to dig it in, just let it sit and let the bacteria and insects do the work, it is what I do.

LizStreithorst

That's exactly what sheet composting is, Barb.  I'll have lots of leaves to use once they start to fall and I always have lots of barnyard poop which is even better than vegetable type green.
Always move forward. Never look back.