• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 129
Total: 130

Jon's Pair

Started by wsantia1, August 20, 2020, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

It looks like the two survisoring Koi angels from the last shipment of angels that I got from Jon and that the Post Office screwed up in transit are apparently a pair. They spawned on the silicon seam of a 40 breeder.

I will move them in the morning as this tank is full of L183 bristlenose plecos. There is little chance of any rearing going on in there. These guys are still very young. I'd say about 9 month old.

It would make me so very happy if I could spawn these guys and keep Jon's line alive. I'll try my best.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

that's great Willie, good luck with them!  I have 8 from Jon's same spawn.  None have paired up but they sure are pretty fish!

Ron Sower

...way to go, willie...you have a legacy of Jon now...! |^|

...I'll bet that some of yours will pair off, Barb and carry on the legacy too!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on August 20, 2020, 08:06:29 PM
that's great Willie, good luck with them!  I have 8 from Jon's same spawn.  None have paired up but they sure are pretty fish!

Thanks Barb. Be on the lookout. With 8 of them I'm sure you will have at least 1 pair.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on August 21, 2020, 10:33:40 AM
...way to go, willie...you have a legacy of Jon now...! |^|

...I'll bet that some of yours will pair off, Barb and carry on the legacy too!...

Thanks Ron. I am getting ready to set them up in their own tank. It looks like most of the eggs were not fertilized but I'm not surprised about that. It wasn't exactly ideal breeding conditions.  :D
Willie

Barb

Willie I am out of the fish breeding side of fishkeeping, except for Endlers and shrimp.  I will make you an offer.  If I get one or more pairs from my 8 from Jon, you can have them if you will drive south to pick them up.  Or maybe I could drive up into VA to meet you somewhere off I 95. I think they are very valuable fish since they were Jon's and maybe the last of his.  I won't ship angels or discus.
Barb

BallAquatics

I want some when you get young ones Willie.  It would be very cool to have some of Jon's fish that you spawned and raised up.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 21, 2020, 07:43:18 PM
I want some when you get young ones Willie.  It would be very cool to have some of Jon's fish that you spawned and raised up.

Dennis

Sure Dennis. I'll be happy to send some to you. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Barb

Quote from: Barb on August 21, 2020, 05:43:08 PM
Willie I am out of the fish breeding side of fishkeeping, except for Endlers and shrimp.  I will make you an offer.  If I get one or more pairs from my 8 from Jon, you can have them if you will drive south to pick them up.  Or maybe I could drive up into VA to meet you somewhere off I 95. I think they are very valuable fish since they were Jon's and maybe the last of his.  I won't ship angels or discus.
Barb

Here it is again.

LizStreithorst

I just saw this post.  I've been off line since Thursday night.  When you have some babies I would like to get in line for 6 or 8.  Those were some beautiful Angels.  How about a pic of your pair, Willie?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on August 22, 2020, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: Barb on August 21, 2020, 05:43:08 PM
Barb

Here it is again.

Sorry Barb, I missed the first reply. I would definitely be interested in that proposal. Let me know if and when they pair up.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 22, 2020, 02:24:32 PM
I just saw this post.  I've been off line since Thursday night.  When you have some babies I would like to get in line for 6 or 8.  Those were some beautiful Angels.  How about a pic of your pair, Willie?

Liz I will most definitely ship some to you, Hopefully the USPS is not totally screwed up when the time comes.
Willie

ghonk

And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

wsantia1

Quote from: ghonk on August 22, 2020, 07:05:08 PM
Good news Willie.

Thanks Greg. Now to complete the Job.
Willie

wsantia1

Unfortunately I think the "male" in this pair is sterile. For the first time I was present to watch them perform the act yesterday and as the female laid the eggs the "male" was quick to do his job.

This morning when I checked, all of the eggs were white. This is their third spawn with no success. As this point I think "he" is sterile or maybe "he" is really a "she".

I can put them in a Koi tank that I know has males but those fish are kind of aggressive with newcomers so I may give this pair 1 more shot. They are still young. Maybe 9 months old?
Willie