• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 160
Total: 161

Shrimp Talk

Started by Ron Sower, July 23, 2020, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

.. I now have a bunch of yellows...thy strain isn't 100% pure though...some of the younger ones have a greenish tint to the bodies with the pronounced yellow stripe down the back...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

I looked in my yellow shrimp tank this morning and the first thing I noticed was a dead male. I hope he was not my only male because that will slow down my production.

I have 7 adults left and I know two are berried. I also have over 50 babies growing out so the future looks good. I need to get a couple of Blue Dream males to get that tank on track since I have 4 large deep blue females that need some attention.

When the spring comes I need to order a Green Jade colony and some Bloody Marys to complete my Neocaridina setup.

One I have this going I will play around with some Caradinas.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

I fed my small blue shrimp tank this morning, I only put food in twice a week.  There are 4 little blues and a ton of java moss, gravel and a little pottery dish (I made it) that I put the food into.  Awhile ago I looked in there and in the bowl, eating, was a berried female, and she was popping out babies!!!!!!  Right in the feeding bowl.  Right next to her was the one assassin snail in the tank.  He was busy eating and didn't even notice what was going on right next to him.   I don't know how many babies were popped out, but the female is only 1/2" long. She is only about 6 mo. old.  A very exciting day, didn't know shrimp could be so entertaining!  My other shrimp tank, also blues from Liz, has 7 adults but heavily planted and I never see any babies, but there are probably some in there.  Also a Betta.  But he stays at the top of the tank where I feed him twice a day.
Barb
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on February 09, 2021, 04:05:05 PM
I fed my small blue shrimp tank this morning, I only put food in twice a week.  There are 4 little blues and a ton of java moss, gravel and a little pottery dish (I made it) that I put the food into.  Awhile ago I looked in there and in the bowl, eating, was a berried female, and she was popping out babies!!!!!!  Right in the feeding bowl.  Right next to her was the one assassin snail in the tank.  He was busy eating and didn't even notice what was going on right next to him.   I don't know how many babies were popped out, but the female is only 1/2" long. She is only about 6 mo. old.  A very exciting day, didn't know shrimp could be so entertaining!  My other shrimp tank, also blues from Liz, has 7 adults but heavily planted and I never see any babies, but there are probably some in there.  Also a Betta. But he stays at the top of the tank where I feed him twice a day.
Barb
Barb
...Bettas are stalkers!...that's probably why you see few or no shrimplets!...if it fits in their mouths, they will eat them!...just saying!... 2c2
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 09, 2021, 05:31:18 PM
Quote from: Barb on February 09, 2021, 04:05:05 PM
I fed my small blue shrimp tank this morning, I only put food in twice a week.  There are 4 little blues and a ton of java moss, gravel and a little pottery dish (I made it) that I put the food into.  Awhile ago I looked in there and in the bowl, eating, was a berried female, and she was popping out babies!!!!!!  Right in the feeding bowl.  Right next to her was the one assassin snail in the tank.  He was busy eating and didn't even notice what was going on right next to him.   I don't know how many babies were popped out, but the female is only 1/2" long. She is only about 6 mo. old.  A very exciting day, didn't know shrimp could be so entertaining!  My other shrimp tank, also blues from Liz, has 7 adults but heavily planted and I never see any babies, but there are probably some in there.  Also a Betta. But he stays at the top of the tank where I feed him twice a day.
Barb
Barb
...Bettas are stalkers!...that's probably why you see few or no shrimplets!...if it fits in their mouths, they will eat them!...just saying!... 2c2

Barb I agree with Ron. Your Betta is probably feasting on baby shrimp.
Willie

Barb

OK, I will get him a different tank.  Thanks!   But the tank has so much Java Moss he can't even get into it.  I will get him out though.
Barb

wsantia1

Yellow Shrimp Family Dinner. mim mim mim It looked much clearer on my phone. huh
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on February 10, 2021, 06:14:46 AM
OK, I will get him a different tank.  Thanks!  But the tank has so much Java Moss he can't even get into it.  I will get him out though.
Barb

Barb, that Java Moss you sent me is completely out of control. lol ;D My shrimp love it and the yellow ones are breeding regularly. I actually saw a juvie female saddled today. huh Well I will have plenty of JM to set up my 10g for the yellows I afraid the they will crash the 5.5 gallon tank that they are in.
Willie

Ron Sower

...Liz...how are the yellow shrimp doing?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Still doing well, Ron.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

My blues from Liz are well, have some little ones growing up.  Shrimp are such fun little things, aren't they?

LizStreithorst

I've been feeding mine my home made food called Snello.  It's designed for snails but the shrimp and BN devour it like nothing I've ever seen.

wsantia1

For the first time I see one of my juvie Yellow Shrimp berried. 8) She is about half the size of my breeding shrimp but I saw saddles on a couple of the juvie females and today one of them is pregnant. mim mim mim
Willie

LizStreithorst

That's wonderful, Willie.

Ron Sower

...Hip, Hip, Hooray...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron