• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 159
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 162
Total: 163

Shrimp Talk

Started by Ron Sower, July 23, 2020, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

I still have about a dz blues, but they don't do any breeding for some reason.  But they seem to be healthy.  I did see one female that may have some eggs, but will need a mag. glass to see for sure when she gets close to the glass.
Barb

LizStreithorst

I've wondered if they could be seasonal breeders for a long time but had never read anything that said that.  I dug down in Google results just now and found that their natural breeding season is summer.  I don't know if that's the cause of the problems we're having but it's something to consider.  https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/cherry-shrimp/
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Well my fears of a female dropping her eggs came true. The semi good news is that I caught her in the act when I got home today and I quick syphoned about 20 and put them in a net over an airstone in a 2.5 gallon tank. Hopefully they will hatch.

I may drop a bit of H2O2 in the tank to prevent fungus. This female is still carrying some eggs so she may been startled into dropping her eggs when I turned on the lights after being gone for a couple of days.

Other good news is that there are still 2 fully berried yellows not including the one that dropped. So an additional one got berried while I was gone.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Those little white dots are live baby shrimp, not eggs.  Neocardia are live bearers.

Ron Sower

...I think my blue shrimp die-off may have come to an end, leaving me with 5-6 in the tank...we'll see what happens next...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm not loosing any more either but mine have yet to start breeding. 

I looked in my red rili tank yesterday.  I saw 5 berried females one of wish who was shooting out tiny babies.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2020, 07:07:51 AM
I'm not loosing any more either but mine have yet to start breeding. 

I looked in my red rili tank yesterday.  I saw 5 berried females one of wish who was shooting out tiny babies.
...cool beans...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Now I have at least 4 berried females. Two weeks ago I thought I would never get 1. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

You got it going on, Willie.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2020, 05:10:19 PM

Now I'm waiting to see the babies although I have 2 juvies that popped up a couple of weeks ago from who knows where.
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 27, 2020, 06:52:36 PM

Now I'm waiting to see the babies although I have 2 juvies that popped up a couple of weeks ago from who knows where.

Finally I have baby yellow shrimp. I counted 5 and I hope there are more. These are very tiny but already yellow. They are much smaller than the 2 little shrimp I found a couple of weeks ago.

I still have 3 berried shrimp left so there will be more. Good thing they are in an algae filled tank that's a mess. Plenty of food and hiding places in there.
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on January 04, 2021, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 27, 2020, 06:52:36 PM

Finally I have baby yellow shrimp. I counted 5 and I hope there are more. These are very tiny but already yellow. They are much smaller than the 2 little shrimp I found a couple of weeks ago.

I still have 3 berried shrimp left so there will be more. Good thing they are in an algae filled tank that's a mess. Plenty of food and hiding places in there.
... |^| |^| |^| ...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

I am now seeing what all the excitement is about these shrimp. I can now see multiple sizes of fry that are obviously from different spawns and I don't have to worry about them being food. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

LizStreithorst

They're way cool, aren't day.  My favorite thing is when I see the ping pong balls bouncing around in the mamas.

Ron Sower

...yep...they are fun to watch...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron