• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 142
Total: 143

Shrimp Talk

Started by Ron Sower, July 23, 2020, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...I got the new shrimp foods Sunday...yesterday I put them in the shrimp tanks and...WOW!...they jumped on them!...

...After all the Bloody Mary shrimp I've sold, traded or given away in the last 2-3 week, I looked at the shrimp all over the new foods and I still have over a hundred in there and tiny shrimplets everywhere!...and this is in a 5g tank!... ??? I will begin culling ruthlessly for more intense colors...

... when I get home from Sedona, I'm going to order the yellows...

...I wonder how long the shrimp fad will last in the hobby, or if it's here to stay?...what do you guys think?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on July 28, 2020, 07:17:18 AM
...I got the new shrimp foods Sunday...yesterday I put them in the shrimp tanks and...WOW!...they jumped on them!...

...After all the Bloody Mary shrimp I've sold, traded or given away in the last 2-3 week, I looked at the shrimp all over the new foods and I still have over a hundred in there and tiny shrimplets everywhere!...and this is in a 5g tank!... ??? I will begin culling ruthlessly for more intense colors...

...I wonder how long the shrimp fad will last in the hobby, or if it's here to stay?...what do you guys think?...

Hey Ron. I think it's here for a while. I've been looking at stuff on you tube from folks that have been doing shrimp since before 2010 and it's only picking up steam.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on July 28, 2020, 08:47:22 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on July 28, 2020, 07:17:18 AM

Hey Ron. I think it's here for a while. I've been looking at stuff on you tube from folks that have been doing shrimp since before 2010 and it's only picking up steam.
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

I am sure I have had Cherry reds for 10 yrs.  All gone now to the Endlers but maybe I can get some from Liz in the Fall.  I so enjoy watching my little blue shrimp.  I caught one munching on a molt yesterday.  They are so fun to watch up close with a mag. glass!
Barb

LizStreithorst

I forgot you didn't have the reds, Barb.  Of course you can have some.  I'm so looking forward to getting my yellow and rili reds.  Tracking says Friday USPS must be using a horse and buggy.  They're just coming from Fla.

I asked my shrimp man what he feeds his.  He feeds them canned green beans!  I heard that from a shrimp guy on Simply a while back, but I found it hard to believe that canned green beans were a good food.  Apparently they are.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

The USPS is in a lot of trouble right now with the Covid-19 and financial situation. I have a friend who's getting me some yellow shrimp from his wholesaler at cost.

I will be getting them on Thursday. I also have some Nerite Snails and Otos coming with that order. all of that at cost.

Needless to say that I take care of him when it comes to Angels and Bristlenoses. He's young and he hustles moving fish.
Willie

Ron Sower

...I think rilis are in my future too...

...definitely ordering the pure strain of yellows from buypetshrimp.com when I get home...Linda and i were talking about fitting fitting a rack in the fish room and adding more shrimp tanks...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

I am almost finished setting up the tank for the yellow shrimp I have arriving tomorrow. After I have the water parameters correct I will drop some Bacter AE and maybe a have of the Shrimp King Snow Pop and let it break down.

I did put a well seeded sponge to get this tank started. My biggest concern in making sure there is enough food available initially. The Bacter AE is supposed to produce biofilm and I'll also drop a well seasoned plant in there.

Willie

Barb

I look forward to seeing pics of all your new shrimp Willie, Liz and Ron!  What does a Rili look like?  Wonder if Jon and Jan would also join us in shrimp keeping if they were here?
Barb

LizStreithorst

They're not all exactly like this, but you get the gist.  Red, red, red and bright white.  There are blue rilis as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rili-Shrimp-Aquarium-Pack/dp/B079WGDWTM

Ron Sower

...I had a small styro box that something came in and I had kept it...I used it Monday to send shrimp overnight to a gal in another part of the state and the shrimp arrived healthy...

...I was looking on Amazon and find the styros to be really expensive so I don't want to use those in the future...Liz, you cut building insulation sheets to fit in boxes to ship fish...I don't think it would be any different shipping shrimp that way...do you?...
...what do you use to cut the styro?....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Cut the styro to fit the box.  It's not as well insulated as a styro but it works well enough.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 01, 2020, 12:12:51 PM
Cut the styro to fit the box.  It's not as well insulated as a styro but it works well enough.
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Shrimp tip o the day.  Put a piece of cooked green bean in your shrinp tank and watch what happens.  They love it.  I have 12 shrimp on a 1/2" piece of cooked bean. 
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on August 01, 2020, 07:17:23 PM
Shrimp tip o the day.  Put a piece of cooked green bean in your shrinp tank and watch what happens.  They love it.  I have 12 shrimp on a 1/2" piece of cooked bean. 
Barb

I guess I know what my vegetable is for tomorrow. Thanks for the tip Barb.
Willie