• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 02:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Shrimp Talk

Started by Ron Sower, July 23, 2020, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2020, 07:32:22 PM
Speaking of red, these are the most beautiful red shrimp I've ever seen.  He's not giving them away either.  As asked him how similar in color and size  to the ones in the picture.  Don't you think they're stunning?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254733625127

They are beauties.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

He hasn't responded yet but it's early Sunday morning.  If he doesn't respond at all I'll know that he's a fake.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 15, 2020, 08:08:56 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2020, 07:32:22 PM
Speaking of red, these are the most beautiful red shrimp I've ever seen.  He's not giving them away either.  As asked him how similar in color and size  to the ones in the picture.  Don't you think they're stunning?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254733625127

They are beauties.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
...Ditto that!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

....my yellow shrimp are coming along nicely except that the colors aren't intense in some of them....I'm culling those, and concentrating on the ones with the distinctive bright yellow stripes down the length of their backs...those without it are going into their own tank...I'm hoping to get this strain with more intense solid yellow bodies...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Let me know when you have some foe sale, Ron.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 18, 2020, 02:37:08 PM
Let me know when you have some foe sale, Ron.
...soon...I'll set you know!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

BTW, that guy with the pic of the beautiful reds never responded to my question.  So now we know to avoid his auctions.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 18, 2020, 04:19:44 PM
BTW, that guy with the pic of the beautiful reds never responded to my question.  So now we know to avoid his auctions.
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Finally I have babies. I only saw these two but hopefully there are more.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I can't imagine what happened to my yellows.  I think they all died.  I don't see any Ping-Pong balls jumping around in any of the female's bodies.  Finally, after adding some reds from a different source I see ping pong balls in one female.  I'm thinking that it's important to add new blood after a while because the constant in breeding seems to reduce fertility.  Anyone have any other theories?  On a happy note my rili red's are producing like crazy.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 06, 2020, 12:16:51 PM
I can't imagine what happened to my yellows.  I think they all died.  I don't see any Ping-Pong balls jumping around in any of the female's bodies.  Finally, after adding some reds from a different source I see ping pong balls in one female. I'm thinking that it's important to add new blood after a while because the constant in breeding seems to reduce fertility.  Anyone have any other theories?  On a happy note my rili red's are producing like crazy.

That's interesting Liz. I haven't had any luck with my blues but maybe I am just too blind to see them. I haven't seen any juggling of egg either. huh
Willie

wsantia1

I've finally saw my first berried shrimp. Is is a small yellow one and she stays in the food jar. Must be a smart one. I do have 2 babies (getting bigger daily) in the tank but I never observed a berried female. The tank has a lot of java moss so I probably just missed it. Hopefully there are more babies hiding. mim mim mim
Willie

LizStreithorst

Congrats, Willie!  I'm down to just one yellow.  I'm getting a little disgusted with shrimp.  All populations are waning except the rili reds.

Ron Sower

...my blues are about gone...checked with my mentor and he said to check water parameters, which I seldom do...the KH was 0...so I added some of our wonderful limestone rock water to the tank yesterday to see if that helps any...we'll see what happens...

...I'm still not happy with my yellows in the breeding tank...color just isn't strong....however I put a few of the washed out ones in my tetra tank with dark wood in it and they just pop with color against the wood...so I think it's the lighting on my shrimp rack...same with the Bloodies...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Thanks Liz. My blues are waning also. I blame myself for not being ready for the shrimp (sorry Liz) when I ordered them. Now I am down to what I think are three big females and what I hope is a small male. I did learn a lot about shrimp with these but I learned it the hard way with lots of losses. huh
Willie