• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 09:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 260
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Re: Rain Water

Started by LizStreithorst, September 04, 2013, 05:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I wouldn't trust rain water if she lives close to a city or is she has a shingled roof.  Rain water is very soft.  It will pick up everything.  At least that is my understanding.  Please tell me if I'm wrong,
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

All I can say is I've spawned all kinds of fish over the last 48 years using rain water a my main softening agent.  I've always collected from an asphalt shingle roof without problems.

My current system has 5 RubberMaid trash cans collecting from 2 downspouts and the results a pumped into the fish room and through a string wound filter before use.

http://ballaquatics.com/general/rain-water/

When funding allows, I'd like to replace the bank of trash cans with some larger, (100+ gallon), stock tanks.

Dennis

Mugwump

Are you aerating those water barrels when not using the water right away???...How often do the barrels need wiping out, or cleaned????
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

No aeration of the rain water.  I do aerate my tap after being under pressure.  The whole system gets broken down and cleaned twice a year.  In the spring when the weather get warm enough and then again in the fall just before cold weather sets in.  It is pretty much a closed system so there is not much to clean.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on September 04, 2013, 05:58:30 PM
No aeration of the rain water.  I do aerate my tap after being under pressure.  The whole system gets broken down and cleaned twice a year.  In the spring when the weather get warm enough and then again in the fall just before cold weather sets in.  It is pretty much a closed system so there is not much to clean.

Dennis

Oh ok, I was thinking that there's some air getting in there, and it's dark....yada yada...vermin can build up quickly if not vigilant.....how dirty do they get over that time...??...do you do a flush too?

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

There's not really any dirt, just a slight bit of bio-film like you would get with anything holding water for a six month period.  Being black and covered there's no algae growth and being rain there's no nutrients to feed any kind of bacteria bloom.   Not sure what you mean by flush.  When it gets broken down and cleaned there's nothing left to flush... just reassemble and wait for the next rain to recharge the system.

Dennis

Mugwump

Flush as in...pump water through it with a mild bleach solution, or cleansing agent...

If it's completely dark, I can see no build up....cool..
Jon

PaulineMi

Dennis do you switch your tanks over to regular tap water in the winter.  Are you on a well?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Should we start another tread? We' taken this one way off teopc,
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 04, 2013, 06:43:22 PM
Flush as in...pump water through it with a mild bleach solution, or cleansing agent...

I see...  no there's just one short section of PVC pipe that doesn't get taken apart and scrubbed.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 04, 2013, 06:45:43 PM
Should we start another tread? We' taken this one way off teopc,

Good idea Liz..... It's now a new topic.

Dennis

Mugwump

Cool.....I like it too... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 04, 2013, 06:43:44 PM
Dennis do you switch your tanks over to regular tap water in the winter.  Are you on a well?

I do switch the ones that I can Pauline.  The past couple of winters have been so mild here that I don't have many days where the outside rain freezes up on me.  Those black trash cans are also on a south facing wall so they get lots of warming sun.  I also increase the amount of rain water that I store in the fish room over the winter so that I don't run out.

Yes, we are on a well here, and by and large our water is wonderful to drink and cook with, it's just that some of the fish prefer the softer water for spawning.

Dennis