• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

shrimp parasite

Started by LizStreithorst, June 21, 2020, 12:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I found a parasite on my blue shrimp.  You may want to check your fresh water shrimp for the same thing.  http://www.shrimptank.ca/2014/03/white-worms-neocaridina-shrimp-head
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Thanks for the info Liz. I have bookmarked that page I'll be on the lookout for these bugs. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

If you find them it was my fault but I had to tell.  God knows I don't want to spread anything around in the fish and shrimp and snails I sell from time to time.  If it happens this time, it will be the first time and I hope, the last.

Barb

I checked all my blues, while they were eating out of a little dish, and don't see a single white thing on them.  I used my mag. glass.  Thank you for your honesty Liz.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on June 22, 2020, 05:57:15 AM
I checked all my blues, while they were eating out of a little dish, and don't see a single white thing on them.  I used my mag. glass.  Thank you for your honesty Liz.
Barb

Barb, what do you feed your shrimp and how often? I've been feeding my shrimp every other day and wonder if that's enough. When I feed more often they don't finish it. I'm trying not to over think this shrimp stuff.

Liz and Ron,  I'm interested in what your routine is also. I'm so much better with fish and I worry if I'm doing the right thing with the shrimp.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I tried the food Barb loves called Nug Bombs, but my shrimp prefer Algae pellets.  I feed them just once a day, but I have a 29 gallon and a 30 full of shrimp.  I also give them an 80% WC once a week.  Except for this parasite, they have had no problems.

Ron Sower

...my shrimp are in heavy planted 5 gallon tanks...so far I haven noticed any parasites...

...I feed them every other day...when they clean up the food in the dish, I add more...and that's about every other day....

...I feed them some shrimp food pellets that Stan gave me...I don't know the brand...I also feed them Spirulina flakes and plain ol fishfood...

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Yes, I use mainly Nug Bomz, from a shrimp guy in Utah.  He says to feed every 3 days.  I also use sinking pellets, but I am trying not to overfeed.  They do eat molts, that is food for them.  I so enjoy watching the newly born babies, so tiny you can hardly see them, with a mag. glass.  They look and eat exactly like the adults but they are just a speck of life. Their little claws are soooo tiny.  I see them eating in the dish right along with the adults.  I am looking forward to the SAS shrimp talk on Sunday.  10pm EST, right Ron?

LizStreithorst

You know, I've never fed mine in a dish.  I always just toss their food in the tank and let them eat from the substrate.  The dish seems like a much better idea.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on June 22, 2020, 11:40:46 AM
Yes, I use mainly Nug Bomz, from a shrimp guy in Utah.  He says to feed every 3 days.  I also use sinking pellets, but I am trying not to overfeed.  They do eat molts, that is food for them.  I so enjoy watching the newly born babies, so tiny you can hardly see them, with a mag. glass.  They look and eat exactly like the adults but they are just a speck of life. Their little claws are soooo tiny.  I see them eating in the dish right along with the adults.  I am looking forward to the SAS shrimp talk on Sunday.  10pm EST, right Ron?
...yes...!  |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 22, 2020, 11:47:02 AM
You know, I've never fed mine in a dish.  I always just toss their food in the tank and let them eat from the substrate.  The dish seems like a much better idea.
...in the past I used to just drop in fish food and some of the shrimp would actually rise to grab a flake on the way down...just like fish...!
...today, I use a dish in one tank...the rest I just toss it in...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So far I've just been throwing food in the tank but they've been eating a lot of algae off of the plants too. I've been feeding the Captain Bob's Guppy Magic and some Shrimp King Snow Pops.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Do you miss my Captain as much as I do, Willie?

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 22, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Do you miss my Captain as much as I do, Willie?

Yes I do Liz. He's a really nice man. I still have some of his food in the fridge but I am running low.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I still have a good bit of Teenie Greenie and just a little bit of Itsy Bitsy but after that I will have no more of his food.  I found another supplier who makes small batches of fish food at home.  My fish like it so I like it.  But I loved my Captain, so it's not the same...