• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 146
Total: 147

Good Morning Friday

Started by wsantia1, June 19, 2020, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Another nice day here in Delaware. It is currently 75 degrees and going up to 80F with scattered T-Storms forecast for the afternoon in the area. We have a 60% chance of getting some rain and we surely need it.

I've been up since 4:45 am and have already finished my usual chores so I am headed down to the fishroom/basement to do some water changes on the fish tanks and stare at the shrimp tank for a bit. I haven't seen any babies yet but I see saddles on a couple of the big ones so maybe soon.

I may continue to tinker in my garage later if it doesn't get too muggy due to rain. I hope everyone has a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Morning Willie, we just had 2" of rain in less than 1 hr.  I was out in it, with a raincoat on, holding onto my patio umbrella, in the strong winds,  which was up protecting a bunch of potted succulents from even more rain.  Some have rotted already due to so much rain lately.  Thankfully most of my collection is in the sunroom. I sent the rain on to you, tell me if you get it tomorrow or Sunday perhaps.  8" here in the last week.

I also look at my shrimp a lot.  What does the saddle mean?  I see it on some of my shrimp but don't know what it is.  Female?  And do you know the life span of these shrimp?  Maybe 1 yr?
Barb

LizStreithorst

Good morning Willie and Barb.  It's gonna be a hot son of a gun today.  Still dry as a bone.  I saw that all the squash a neighbor up the road planted in his conventional garden is wilted and will die.  Mine, out in the same hot sun but well mulched is doing fine.

The plan for today was to mow the front lawn just to tidy it up a bit more, then take Charlotte for gas and into town for an oil change.  Well, the mower was low on it's 30 weight and I was out, so I decided to do Charlotte first and pick up some 30 weight while I was out.  I treated her to $10 whole gallons of gas (she was running on fumes) and drove in to the oil change place which is now a detail place.  There is no place in Ellisville to get an oil change any more so I decided to change it myself. 

Since I was in Charlotte and she's reasonably spiffy looking right now I visited Chip at the tractor fix it place.  He was going to visit me the other day but he went to see his dad first and got drunk...He wants to get with me some time and give me all the stuff he has stored that belongs to Charlotte.  Her insides are still half in and half not in.  Some stuff I can do myself, but the stuff that needs wiring is over my head.

Then I visited with BJ who replaced Charlotte's engine and asked what oil to buy.  He wants me to use 10W40 rather than 10 W 30.  Then off to the auto parts store to buy oil, air filter, oil filter, a filter wrench, and a container to put her old oil in for recycling.

Then I remembered the Alabama peaches at the fruit stand, so I headed there next.  Of course I needed heavy cream for the peaches so it was off to the supermarket. 

It occurred to me that I was out of nicotine so I hit the beer store and while I was there stocked up on beer.  Met a couple of roofers there and we had a nice chat.  I've worked on the roof in the hot sun.  I know what it's like.  The only harder hotter work is laying asphalt.  They worked from 6 am until 11 and then went straight to the beer store.

On my way home I stopped at the nursery and got another $20. load of mulch for the blueberries.  All this time I was dressed to mow.  Cut off jeans, tank top, no bra.  Folks saw me as I am and nobody cared.

The sun's out now.  Can't mow.  Can't change oil because Charlotte is hot.  I get I'll sit outside, drink a beer and think about what I can get done today other than clean house.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on June 19, 2020, 11:20:52 AM
Morning Willie, we just had 2" of rain in less than 1 hr.  I was out in it, with a raincoat on, holding onto my patio umbrella, in the strong winds,  which was up protecting a bunch of potted succulents from even more rain.  Some have rotted already due to so much rain lately.  Thankfully most of my collection is in the sunroom. I sent the rain on to you, tell me if you get it tomorrow or Sunday perhaps.  8" here in the last week.

I also look at my shrimp a lot.  What does the saddle mean? I see it on some of my shrimp but don't know what it is.  Female?  And do you know the life span of these shrimp?  Maybe 1 yr?
Barb

I am under the impression that only females have a saddle but I am probably wrong. huh I'm sure Liz and Ron know for sure.
Willie

LizStreithorst

No I don't.  All I know is for me they breed like crazy.  The only thing I noticed and fell in love with was the females having eggs beboping around in the female when she is close to delivering them.  The babies are just tiny little dots.

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 19, 2020, 01:00:48 PM

I also look at my shrimp a lot.  What does the saddle mean? I see it on some of my shrimp but don't know what it is.  Female?  And do you know the life span of these shrimp?  Maybe 1 yr?
Barb

I am under the impression that only females have a saddle but I am probably wrong. huh I'm sure Liz and Ron know for sure.

From what I read and understand the saddle is where the females produce unfertilized eggs. When she is ready she will molt and release pheromones to attract a male/males. After she is fertilized the eggs will move down to her underbelly and she will be "berried" with fertilized eggs. Babies will be born in about 30 days. 
Willie

LizStreithorst

I knew that you would know more than I know.  I spend most of my time concentrating on Discus and my other fish.  I just leave the shrimp to do their own thing and they produce like crazy.  Specialty the red ones.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 19, 2020, 02:37:50 PM
I knew that you would know more than I know.  I spend most of my time concentrating on Discus and my other fish.  I just leave the shrimp to do their own thing and they produce like crazy.  Specialty the red ones.

;D  I just read that on the internet. ;D
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 19, 2020, 02:10:21 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on June 19, 2020, 01:00:48 PM

Barb

From what I read and understand the saddle is where the females produce unfertilized eggs. When she is ready she will molt and release pheromones to attract a male/males. After she is fertilized the eggs will move down to her underbelly and she will be "berried" with fertilized eggs. Babies will be born in about 30 days.
...spot on, Willie...! |^|...I've got a bunch of berried bloody maries and a bunch of saddled ones in my little 5.5g tan....! need to get some over to the LFS...!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...I've had a busy day of seriously goofing off!...Read a little this morning...putzed with my dragonstone...went to the clubhouse for a Father's Day root beer float |eat|...then read some more and at 2 S&B came over and we've played cards...getting ready for some Popeye's chicken and than another few card hands after we eat...

...I'm not worth much today!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Ron, I was worth much till around noon.  After that, I was worth nothing.

Barb

Good eve all.  Thanks for the info. Willie, I hadn't been able to find that.  Now I just want to know the life span of these shrimp.  Do you know Ron?  Liz I would like some of your reds one day OK?  All mine got eaten by my Endlers! It was the only tank I had them in.  I gave some of my reds to Cynthia a couple years ago, she put them in her heavily planted guppy tank.  Those fish ate every shrimp.  None left.
Barb 

LizStreithorst

I'll send you some Red's any time you like, Barb.  Put them in a tank with a whole lots of plants, especiallly subwassertang and water lettuce.  I put young Cardinals with mine when I started the tank years ago.  I have just 4 or 24 left.  They never put much of a crimp in their fry production.  They are much better at cranking out the kids than the blues in the same conditions.

Barb

Thanks Liz, how about Oct?  It is too hot now to risk me getting cooked shrimp by mail.  I sure am enjoying my blues,  I spend more time looking at them with my magnifying glass than I do looking at discus and angels.  Imagine that!  Of course the d&a get more specialized care from me.