• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 02:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 126
Total: 127

The millennium Rainbow Fish spawn

Started by LizStreithorst, May 30, 2020, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It's been several days since I removed the pair from the breeding tank. Yesterday I saw many tiny little red dots at the top of the tank.  I showed them to one of my grooming customers who is interested in weird things and he didn't think that they were baby fish.  He saw some of them hopping.  I saw it, too.

This morning I did see one tiny little fish swimming in a clearing of the water lettuce as well as more dots.  This afternoon saw some of those dots obviously swimming around in the water column.  I put in a tiny pinch of 50 mm golden pearls and some of the dots appeared to be hunting it.

I think that these are what grow into a 4" long Rainbow Fish.  I could be wrong.  I don't keep my tanks covered except for my baby Pearl Gourami tank because they catch pneumonia easily, so it could have been some airborne insect laid her eggs on the top of the water, but I don't think so.  I think the rainbows are really that small when they hatch.  The jumping may have been from the effort it takes them to hatch out of their eggs.

Anyone have a a guess?
Always move forward. Never look back.