• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 135
Total: 136

Happy Friday

Started by wsantia1, May 15, 2020, 10:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. I've been up and going since the crack of dawn and now I'm back in the house to take a break for a while. It is currently 79 degrees and going up to 85 F this afternoon.

I have my A/C on for the first time this season. The temps will be like this all weekend with the humidity at the highest levels of thew season. I will be out in a little while to enjoy this weather and watch the landscapers do their thing.

The shrimp I got from Liz are doing great and eagerly ate all of the food I fed them yesterday. Liz, how often do you do water changes on your shrimp tanks?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

...good morning Muggers....it's 77 now and sunny out there... and going to 91...I should be walking around several blocks ATM...nah!...don't want to exert myself too much!....just getting out of bed this morning is enough exercise for me right now!...

...looks like another afternoon of cards is in the plans today...I wish I could win some games...the gals usually win...

...going to run a credit check on the couple that wants to rent one of our places for a year...first time doing this for me...

...need to take the old cast iron kitchen sink to the dump today...free dumping this week...it's a heavy piece and loading it into Tweety Bird is going to be a job!...

...I hope all of you are doing well today...and have fun...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Morning folks.  It's overcast right now, temp will go up to 79 which is usually very comfortable but it's as humid as all get out.  I finally got the rest of my potted plants re-potted.  I'm going to take the garden cart to the chicken house and get to cleaning it out.  I'll raise some of the perches I have in there to try to make roosting in there more attractive to my "wild" Bielefelders.  I have a feeling that these guys are going to lay their eggs under hidden bushes once they start laying.  They say we will be getting thunder showers later this after noon, so I'd better get going and get what I can done now before the rain comes.

Ron, being a Discus person I am hooked on changing water.  I change 80% on my shrimp tanks once a week.  Don't vacuum the bottom unless you change your water into a bucket or you will be vacuuming up little babies.  I love a Matten filter for my shrimp tanks because I can change water from behind the filter.  I stir up the substrate once in a while because the Matten filter will suck up all that floating crud fast.

What are you feeding yours, Ron.  Mine get only algae wafers.  I'd like to find them another food because although they love their wafers, variety is the spice of life.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 15, 2020, 12:04:09 PM
Morning folks.  It's overcast right now, temp will go up to 79 which is usually very comfortable but it's as humid as all get out.  I finally got the rest of my potted plants re-potted.  I'm going to take the garden cart to the chicken house and get to cleaning it out.  I'll raise some of the perches I have in there to try to make roosting in there more attractive to my "wild" Bielefelders.  I have a feeling that these guys are going to lay their eggs under hidden bushes once they start laying.  They say we will be getting thunder showers later this after noon, so I'd better get going and get what I can done now before the rain comes.

Ron, being a Discus person I am hooked on changing water.  I change 80% on my shrimp tanks once a week.  Don't vacuum the bottom unless you change your water into a bucket or you will be vacuuming up little babies.  I love a Matten filter for my shrimp tanks because I can change water from behind the filter.  I stir up the substrate once in a while because the Matten filter will suck up all that floating crud fast.

What are you feeding yours, Ron.  Mine get only algae wafers.  I'd like to find them another food because although they love their wafers, variety is the spice of life.

Hey Liz. It was me that asked about water changes on shrimp. lol I found a product distributed by Shrimp King called Snow Pops. It's made in Germany but ships from here. Your babies tore it up last night.  |^| |^| |^|
Willie

LizStreithorst

Sorry, Willie.  I check out your food.  Thanks for the info.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Hi everybody!  Hot here today, but dry.  Now we need rain so I hope we get some soon.  Gardeners need rain here.  Willie, I feed my blue shrimp from Liz a thing called Nug Bomz.  I ordered it online from a guy in Utah, recommended by a member in Ron's SAS FB group, which I joined.  The shrimp love it, so does the 1 Assassin snail in that tank.  He came running across the tank when I put the food in.   The package says to feed just 2 times a week.  I think I may change 50% of the shrimp water every couple weeks.  Mine is a small planted tank with gravel, wood and lava rock.  I use it as a night light in my bedroom.  Real pretty.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on May 15, 2020, 03:31:54 PM
Hi everybody!  Hot here today, but dry.  Now we need rain so I hope we get some soon.  Gardeners need rain here.  Willie, I feed my blue shrimp from Liz a thing called Nug Bomz.  I ordered it online from a guy in Utah, recommended by a member in Ron's SAS FB group, which I joined.  The shrimp love it, so does the 1 Assassin snail in that tank.  He came running across the tank when I put the food in.   The package says to feed just 2 times a week.  I think I may change 50% of the shrimp water every couple weeks.  Mine is a small planted tank with gravel, wood and lava rock.  I use it as a night light in my bedroom.  Real pretty.
Barb

Thanks Liz and Barb. I am so happy I can come to you ladies for this advice. I've been trying to do shrimp for a while now but either the stock was not good or my husbandry sucked but it was probably a bit of both.

I know from experience that getting these from Liz I would be getting very good quality stock and I am better prepared this time too.

Ron I can't leave you out. What do you feed your shrimp and how often do you do water changes? Any other shrimpers out there please chime in. As a newbie the more I learn the better I can be. Thanks
Willie