• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 01:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

A dog that was saved from staving to death

Started by LizStreithorst, May 24, 2020, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I groomed this dog today.  It belongs to a lady friend who takes care of old people who are living alone.  This one old lady's dog died and she wanted another poodle.  My friend Sherry, was looking for one for her and Sherry's daughter found one that we being given away by a back yard breeder and took it to Sherry.  The old lady didn't want it.

This poor little poodle was nothing but a bag of bones.  It couldn't eat so Sherry fed it from a syringe until she could get it to the vet.  It turned out that the poor little dog that though live was lived in a small cage had teeth so bad that it couldn't eat.  It was 6 years old and I'm sure was bred every time she came into heat.  When it was no longer good for breeding she gave it away.

Nobody thought the little dog would live but it's only chance of life was to be anesthetized and teeth pulled.  The vet spayed her and had all her matted hair shaved off.  After the little thing recovered she started eating and gaining weight.  It's been a about 3 months and it was ready for the first "real" groom of it's life. 

The little thing was good on the table for it's first even real groom in 6 years of life.  Sherry was delighted.  Her husband will be shocked when he see it.  And I feel that I was able to do good.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

What a great story Liz!  Almost made my cry.  So good when a bad thing has a happy ending!
Barb

LizStreithorst

This lady doesn't have much more money than I do.  Certainly not enough to try to save a dying dog from death.

You should see the little dog now, I think she named it Sugar.  It is an excellent weight and happy and loves her new mama that saved her life more than you can imagine.  It's a beautiful thing.

wsantia1

You did great by that dog Liz. The story was very heartwarming but also a bit sad in the way those breeders treat those beautiful animals. Liz you are a very caring, sharing and loving person. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^| 
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I'll tell you something that I rarely tell.  I wasn't always kind.  I drove people away because they can be very hurtful and I'd had enough of that.  Then one day I decided that I wanted to get better.  Although I am a non believer I asked God to make me a kinder person.  I can see that it worked.  But it's heartwarming to have others who I have never even met see it in me.  Thank you, Willie.

Ron Sower

What a great story, Liz...So glad Sherry and you are taking care of the dog...Isn't there a law protecting dogs from that kind of treatment?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

There are but it's more about physical abuse and animal hoarding than about back yard breeders.  As long as their dogs are fed and shaved to nothing once a year there is nothing they can do as the dogs are being "cared for her".  I just hope that people who use animals for financial gain reap what they sow in their sorry lives.  Can you imagine thinking of a living animal as nothing but a pot of cash?  I'm grateful that I don't see these things often because when I do my heart breaks.