• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 09:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

The 125 Cichlid Tank

Started by Ron Sower, April 25, 2020, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...saw a fellow on our FB page looking for larger fish to go into his new 225g tank...I traded one of my red shoulder severums for his slightly smaller red spotted severum...got him home and all he did was lay on his side in the bottom of the bucket...by bedtime I figured he would be dead this morning...NOT!... he was upright and doing well...trauma shock, I guess was his problem....

...I put him in the 125 with the rest of the severums...I was surprised to see NO aggression...several of the fish went over and nuzzled him a little..he didn't flinch...then they drifted side-by-side some...now he's swimming around like he's been there for weeks....! |^|

...I sure am glad I taught my fish good manners!... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Bet that was a scare Ron.  Reminds me of an African Cichlid tank I had years ago.  One of the fish was badly beaten up, all his fins were gone. He was floating at the top of the tank, just a beaten up body without fins.  Terrible looking. I got a net to get him out,and he moved!  He tried to get away from the net.  So I left him alone.  He hid a lot, but slowly he grew out all new fins and became a fine looking healthy fish.  Those Cichlids are tough, but don't think an angel or discus would fare so well...
Barb

Ron Sower

...I was pretty down when I went to bed  that night....but pretty up when I saw him the next morning... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

I googled that fish Ron and it's quite a looker. I wouldn't mine having a couple of those in my fishroom. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

...update on Cichlid Tank activities...

Cigar time
...on Sep 4 the Electric Blue Acaras spawned and yesterday we have wigglers...!!...I plan to pull them out Friday or Saturday and put them in on of the cycling shrimp 5g tanks...

Cigar time, again
...yesterday one of the gold severum females and a red shoulder male spawned...!! I hope the eggs hatch before we leave Sunday for a Vegas trip... If so, I can put the fry in another cycling tank...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Wow, a whole lotta breeding going on there Ron!  Good luck with them all.
Barb

wsantia1

You are definitely doing something right Ron. Keep it up.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

... I guess something went wrong!...the eggs on the severum rock are all totally white... I wonder if one of them was sterile ...don;t know enough about them...

...The EBA wigglers are getting stronger...I'll transfer them tomorrow to a cycled 5g tank...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...the red shoulder and Gold severums spawned again...another white egg batch by day 2 and now gone from the rock...

...the young EBAs I put into the 5g tank before we left for our trip are doing fine and growing...I have a bunch of them sold at the swap meet on the 4th...going to the same lady that bought the ones I sold to another fellow on our FB page!!!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron