• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 125
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

The 125 Cichlid Tank

Started by Ron Sower, April 25, 2020, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...I'll get a pic soon, Barb...

...took 4 red shoulders to my friend Rob to give to his brother...in return he gave me a large SunSun canister filter he has no use for anymore...I've never had one of those, but he said it was wonderful...I'll set it up tomorrow, I figure....anyhow, I decided to keep one of the red shoulders... mainly because I gues I'd rather have 3 instead of 2 in that tank for now...I don't know... :-\

...as I sit here and watch the cichlid tank, I love the way they all just glide through the water...the only somewhat aggressive ones are the Firemouths...they are intraspecifically somewhat aggressive...they are only 2+" long...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...after dinner last night I decided to clean and set up the SunSun 304B canister filter I got in the trade for the fish...I was disappointed that it was about 1.5" too tall to fit in the space under the cichlid tank....

...I decided to exchange it with the Eheim 2217 on the Congo tank and set it up there... it is really quiet like the Eheim...I cleaned out the Eheim and have it ready to reassemble and install on the Cichlid tank tonight...

...the plastic intake and return stems for the Sunsun weren't all there, so I ordered a set from Amazon to be here tomorrow or Friday...

...the lesion on the side of the red shouldered severum is almost clear now...I had thought about including him in the trade, but decided not to because I've got a "relationship" with him now...crazy, right? huh

...the small firemouth cichlids are showing conspecific aggression...one little guy thinks he owns the other 3...I find myself sitting and watching the inter- and intra-specific dynamics in that tank a lot...I've always enjoyed the smaller cichlids when I've had them...now I'm enjoying the larger versions...! |^| ...quite different behavior than that exhibited in the Congo Tetra tank...!

...I have some Manzanita branches that I glued together at their bases to make the structure look like a tree-fall in the water...the glue I used was the Gorilla Glue that creates a polyurethane foam...in most cases it works well, but in this case I've had to shift the structure around several times and the foam sheared and the 3 branches have come apart...I've got some stainless steel screws since I finished that structure, so I'm going to pull the pieces out and screw them together...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...time for an update...

...the red shoulder that had the cloudy eye and the lesion on the side is almost completely healed...

...the large geophagus developed what looked like a pimple in its shoulder area which just kept getting larger and eventually opened with white all around it...didn't look like fungus...more like bacteria...I didn't have any meds for it so took him out, swabbed the area clean of the white material with a cuetip and dabbed Neosporin on it...he didn't make it...

...also a firemouth has some spots on its back at the anterior base of the dorsal fin...I'm going to pick up meds for it today...

...this new set of larger fish is a bit of a challenge for me...Not only am I dealing with their health issues I haven't encountered before, I miss the heavily planted tank look...don't know how long these fish with stay with me...

...the fellow I gave the blue acara eggs to has had them hatch...that's exciting...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...after about 6 weeks into this tank, the water is almost crystal clear...took some time for the new filter to colonize I guess...fish are looking good...enjoying them but miss plants...no more spawns yet...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...a few days ago the Electric Blue Acaras spawned again in the same place... after a couple days the eggs were gone...this was right after I'd introduced 8 rabauti cories into the tank, so I was sure they had sneaked in and eaten them...

...last night I noticed the parents were still chasing all the tankmates to the other end of the tank...so, I went over to see if there were any eggs left on the rock they were protecting...none there ...so I thought they were getting ready to spawn again, even though it was so soon...while examining the rock with a flashlight I noticed under it in a dug out trough there was a collection of grey detritus...on further inspection and closer look it was a massive bunch of wigglers! |^|...

...I decided I would place about half of them in a 5g tank I was cycling for some new shrimp to see how they grow compared to the other parent raised half in a community cichlid tank...no fungused ones this morning so far!... wfwf
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Cool thing, Ron!  Smart parents, too. 

When I want to cycle a tank I just move one of my cycled sponges to it and it's cycled!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...I generally suck gunky water from my large sponge tower into a bucket and use that...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...the EBA fry left with the parents are now gone... :(

...but the ones I moved to the 5g are doing fine so far...I picked up some live BBS today and they liked that!...If I were going to get into really breeding fish again I would set up a BBS hatchery...but right now I'll continue to grind up decapsulated BS eggs and flake food for them and buy some shrimp occasionally...They're cute little suckers!...heck all the little fry are cute!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...the EBA fry are coming along...the female died yesterday...no symptoms other than just laying upright at the bottom of the tank... :(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...the little EBA fry have just about doubled in length...I probably ought to contact someone who is set up to grow out fry to take most of them...I only have the 5g tank for them...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...sent off about half of the EBA fry I had in the 5g tank...now maybe the ones left will have less competition for food and space...Leo was going to put them into a 40g tank by themselves and I explained that they might starve to death not being able to find food in that large of a tank and recommended a 5 or 10g to start...Hope he does it and they survive...

...while he was here he saw my Crockagator Cove dragonstone feature and bought it!...What a surprize...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm so sorry that your female died.  The same thing happened to his Discus female of a wild caught pair.  It's a shame to loose a good breeder.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...thank you for the sentiment, Liz...

...a fellow I think I've done some fish trading with years ago has contacted me about my EBA fry...he wants them...I told him I have 60-80 left and they'r about 1/4" long...he made me and offer for all of them and is coming to get them Sunday!...I might keep a couple...but I really want that little 5g for another strain of Neo shrimp!...

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...I've added 4 green severums to the cichlid tank...they are about silver dollar size...cute little buggers and they have assimilated well...they have no fear and are not aggressive...

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...I keep looking at the cichlid tank and thinking I sure could grow a lot of plants in there!...Might sell the 3 red shoulder severums soon...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron