• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 135
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

The 125 Cichlid Tank

Started by Ron Sower, April 25, 2020, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...Liz, do you want to join our FB page?...It has a lot of people on it that don't actually belong to the club...a lot of newbies to the hobby too...they like it because it's a friendly, non-attack page...no cursing, etc...our board serves as admins and I'm particularly harsh on those that attack others...If they don't change their ways I WHACK 'EM! :D ;)...if you or anyone else wants to join, I'll watch for you to pop up...don;t forget to answer ALL the qusestions...  https://www.facebook.com/groups/SASAZ/
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I do my best to avoid Facebook but I'll try your page.  Thanks for the invitation, Ron.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...yesterday, while watching my cichlid tank, I saw a soft tissue extrusion from the male gold severum's cloacal opening...contacte a couple friends in the club about it and learned it's a prolapse...about all I can do for it is isolate him and use epsom salt to help shrink the tissue and it may return to normal...any ideas from you guys?...

...otherwise, as I continue to treat the tank, the big red shoulders' skin lesions are healing nicely on most of them...1 of the 6 had deeper lesions and a bad scrape on the eye and his spots are a little slower healing...but they are healing!... |^|

...I may do the first water change on that tank this morning after I get back from getting epsom salts...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on May 01, 2020, 11:12:48 AM
...yesterday, while watching my cichlid tank, I saw a soft tissue extrusion from the male gold severum's cloacal opening...contacte a couple friends in the club about it and learned it's a prolapse...about all I can do for it is isolate him and use epsom salt to help shrink the tissue and it may return to normal...any ideas from you guys?...

...otherwise, as I continue to treat the tank, the big red shoulders' skin lesions are healing nicely on most of them...1 of the 6 had deeper lesions and a bad scrape on the eye and his spots are a little slower healing...but they are healing!... |^|

...I may do the first water change on that tank this morning after I get back from getting epsom salts...

Good luck with that Ron. I'm hoping they all get better quickly for you. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

...yesterday the bacterial infections seemed to be clearing up more...the red shoulder severums are looking better all the time...

...I put the gold severum with the prolapse in a dark 5g bucket and am treating with epsom salts...I'll see if there is any shrinkage later today...

...my friend, Bill, is bringing me 3 Electric Blue Acara to go with my 1 that I already have...and 1 Geophagus sp. "Rio Tapajos Red Cap"...at least that's what I think he's bringing me...  http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/geophagus-sp-rio-tapajos-red-cap-an-unclaimed-amazon-jewel.htm

...Monday I will pick up some fish I ordered from my LFS...after that I will be looking to keep the specimens I really like and rehoming the rest...the tank will be overcrowded unless I do that...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...got the new EBAs and the Geophagus this morning...they're doing well so far...2 of the EBAs appear to be pairing off with tubes partially down :D :D ...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...nothing serious going on with the pairs yet...

...UPS delivered the meds I ordered this morning and now I can continue treating the Red Shoulder Severums....only one has any serious infection now...

...tomorrow I will be picking up some Geophagus meeki from my LFS...he'll have my red spotted severums too...soon I will be culling some of the red shoulders and rehoming...they are big but relatively gentle...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...WELL....didn't get to the LFS yesterday but will go today....

...so I thought nothing serious was going on with the pairings yesterday...wellllllll...this morning there is a flat rock loaded with Electric Blue Acara eggs and the parents are fanning and protecting...! :D   ...probably 200 eggs...

...the red shoulder and gold severum haven't spawned yet...their rock is about 12" from the EBAs...

...the last RSS with a skin lesion and cloudy eye is even better today...the white is gone from the lesion and the eye is close to clear...

...I hope to clear out some of these this weekend and just keep 2 or 3 of o ut of the 6 of them...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

I always enjoy hearing when sick fish get well.  So many don't, especially in the Discus community.  I hate seeing all the pics of sick Discus on FB.  It is just heartbreaking to see how people take a gorgeous healthy discus and let it become what the pics show.  Just terrible.  Well done Ron!
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on May 07, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
I always enjoy hearing when sick fish get well.  So many don't, especially in the Discus community.  I hate seeing all the pics of sick Discus on FB.  It is just heartbreaking to see how people take a gorgeous healthy discus and let it become what the pics show.  Just terrible.  Well done Ron!
Barb
...thanks, Barb...I hate it when someone gives me a fish and it doesn't do well...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on May 07, 2020, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: Barb on May 07, 2020, 10:19:00 AM
Barb
...thanks, Barb...I hate it when someone gives me a fish and it doesn't do well...

Nice job with those those sick fish Ron. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

..thanks Willy...he still has some infection...but I'm working on him...another water change today and then another treatment for the tank...

...I picked up the fish yesterday at the LFS...I got 3, supposed to be, red spotted gold severums....they aren't all that gold and the spots aren't showing yet...they are young and I'll give them time...4 firemouth cichlids, also young but showing a bit of color,,,2 more electric blue acaras, pale last night coloring up some today...

...last night when these new ones were introduced there was a lot of chasing and posturing going on...this morning, so far, not so much...

...my other pair of EBAs are still fanning the eggs...only see one white one...I may have someone, who is set up to raise fry, to take either the rock with eggs or the wigglers if that comes to pass...

...it's time to pull out the red shoulder severums I don't want to keep and a fellow is supposed to come this afternoon to take 3 or 4 of them...I think I want to keep 2...they are as large a my whole hand and more....beautiful fish...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...knowing that it is not likely that the EBA fry, if the eggs hatch, will not likely survive in the community tank, I contacted a fellow who likes to raise big fish to see if he wanted the eggs to try to hatch and grow out the fry...he came over yesterday and I gave him the rock with the eggs attached...he took them home and placed the rock on 2 sponge filters sitting side-by-side...that should keep a nice flow over the eggs...

...the other fellow that was supposed to come get 3 red shoulders from me yesterday couldn't make it until today, so the fish each remained in their own 5g bucket last night...hope he shows up today because the buckets are sitting in the middle of my fish room...!

...once these guys are gone, I'm pretty set with the inhabitants for a little while...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

And we will need a pic of it all Ron!  When you can.
Barb