• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 03:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 126
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 135
Total: 135

The 125 Cichlid Tank

Started by Ron Sower, April 25, 2020, 10:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...Having finished the setup of this tank now...except for adding a couple more plants, I have placed 2 Gold Severum and and the one Electric Blue Acara from the community 125 in it...so far the y are getting along fine...

...a couple days ago I noticed the tube starting to show on one of the Sevs...Yesterday it was down and large and apparently belonged to a female...also saw the point of a tube starting to show on the other one yesterday...probably a male...they've been staying close together and the female shaking in front of the male often,,,yesterday they were also both casually spitting sand from one the flat rocks...so I'm predicting within 3 days I'll find eggs one morning when I come into the fish room...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

You've got it going on, man.  I wish I were seeing some action here.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 25, 2020, 11:30:59 AM
You've got it going on, man.  I wish I were seeing some action here.

LOL  I love this place!

Dennis

Babers

Joel

Ron Sower

...I picked up 6 red shoulder severums yesterday from a friend who gave them to me....they went into the 125 cichlid tank...very shy or stressed still today...the friend that gave them to me has had them for years and raised them fro 50 cent piece size to 7" or so....it disturbed the gold severums on eggs to the point they must have eaten the eggs...not uncommon...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Sounds like a great tank Ron.  What room in your house is it?  Pic?
Barb

Ron Sower

...I've converted the 3rd bedroom into the aquarium room...removed the closed doors, put a sink and shelves and water barrel in it for the workspace...
...here is a SAS YouTube video of my room prior to the Cichlid Tank setup...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrgZgyXiYUk&t=509s
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 27, 2020, 11:46:26 AM
...I've converted the 3rd bedroom into the aquarium room...removed the closed doors, put a sink and shelves and water barrel in it for the workspace...
...here is a SAS YouTube video of my room prior to the Cichlid Tank setup...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrgZgyXiYUk&t=509s

Beautiful tank and plants Ron.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|. The only plant I do well with is algae. huh Can't wait to see the cichlid tank setup.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Barb

What a beautiful tank Ron! And your fishroom is great, so well organized with everything close by.  Very nicely done!  Show pic of cichlid tank later on?  Wish I could grow plants like that, I only grow beautiful plants outside in dirt and all my houseplants, also in dirt.  Do you have any houseplants too?
Barb

Ron Sower

...Thanks for the compliments...I've removed a lot of the plants this past weekend from the Congo 125...I'm rescaping it with fewer plants...

...here in AZ i like to grow cacti and succulents in pots and in the yard...

...Yes, i will get pics of the Cichlid Tank up soon...I'd like for the new fish to be out and about before I do...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

I also grow cactus and succulents, all in pots, some outside, most in the sunroom.  Take a few pics of yours sometimes to show us?  Forgot to tell you I really like that shirt!

Ron Sower

...so yesterday I saw that the new cichlids were getting a lot of bacterial growth on their fins and sides where my friend roughed them up when netting them...It wasn't getting any better as the evening commenced so I started treating the tank with Lifeguard...today there is improvement...I'm going to get some more of it from Petsmart when i'm out today...they suggest 5 day treatment...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 28, 2020, 02:26:38 PM
...so yesterday I saw that the new cichlids were getting a lot of bacterial growth on their fins and sides where my friend roughed them up when netting them...It wasn't getting any better as the evening commenced so I started treating the tank with Lifeguard...today there is improvement...I'm going to get some more of it from Petsmart when i'm out today...they suggest 5 day treatment...

Hope all goes well with that treatment Ron. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

LizStreithorst

Ron, I finally got around to watching the video yesterday instead of taking a nap.  I am so impressed.  Everything is so well thought out and your work is flawless.  My DIY projects are all done to the best of my ability but my ability is sorely lacking.

The tank itself is drop dead gorgeous.  Also, you have a killer aquarium club.  I wish we had any kind of club in my area. 
Always move forward. Never look back.