• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 11:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 140
Total: 141

Help with discus, please...

Started by Ron Sower, April 16, 2020, 12:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...Liz...A friend in the club has a discus swimming upside down with a bit of a swollen bell...

...any ideas on what it is and how to treat it?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

It's probably a lost cause at this point.  If he wants to try anyway use Kanamycin coupled with Epsom salt and 100% WC daily with stable water.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Oh, and his the temp of his tank should be 82.

Ron Sower

...Tahnk you, Liz...it seems that the fish has straightened out things on its own...weird!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Ron Sower

...yep...tell me about it...I usually just destroy fish when that happens...but it hasn't happened for me for many years...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Well, I'm happy for him.  Do you happen to know what he feeds?  It must have been in intestinal blockage.

Ron Sower

...Beef heart, bloodworms, myssl shrimp, brine shrimp, and spirulina algae frozen food all mixed up, once a day...
...he had fed his Cories some algae wafers that night and saw the discus pecking at them...

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I've heard of problems with bloat with some Algae wafers although I have never experienced it myself.  I don't feed brine shrimp nor mysis but I wonder if it could have been the shells in it.  I have no real answers, just things to consider.

Ron Sower

...Thanks LIz...I passed this on to Vilo...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...Vilo asked me what you feed your discus....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I feed Captain Bob's Teenie Greenie and a pellet from another guy who also makes his own food and freeze dried black worms.  I used to also feed frozen bloodworms but considering they're mostly water they cost a lot to ship.  For a while a had a red wiggler culture going but It was too much trouble so I tossed the  whole batch on the garden.

Barb

I feed mine freeze dried black worms, and several good quality flakes, pellets and bits.  They are full grown now, I got them as half dollar size, and they have eaten only my dry foods.  They range in size from 5-7" now.
Barb

Ron Sower

...thanks ladies...I've passed both menus on to Vilo...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

As long as it's a nutritious and tasty food the fish will eat it and do well on it.  I still have a question in my mind about shrimp shells getting stuck in the gut.  Why don't you suggest to him that he ask on Simply?  Someone there will have a better idea of the culprit than I do.  They like questions that are puzzling like this one is.

You know I forgot to ask one important question.  Is the fish in question a Blue Diamond?  They have been known to bloat more often than the other strains.