• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 04:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 276
Total: 276

Water changes after vacation

Started by Butterfly, September 01, 2013, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I guess the question would be, "too much for what?"

If 1 penny adds one part per gazillion, 50 would add 50 parts per gazillion..... still a very tiny amount.   ;)

Dennis

LizStreithorst

OK.  I know that you know more than I do.  I still would not do it. It would make me feel creepy.  But I fly by the seat of my pants,  I am not logical
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 02, 2013, 06:12:44 PM
...But I fly by the seat of my pants,  I am not logical

One of your endearing qualities Liz.  I wouldn't do it either.  I don't like to put much of anything that's not organic into my tanks.  It's bad enough that I use polyvinyl chloride, vinyl, silicone, and polyether polyurethane in my tank filtration.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Agreement.  And it came from opposite poles.  Imagine that? 

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 02, 2013, 06:12:44 PM
I know that you know more than I do.

I doubt that that is true.  We just know different things.   ;)

Dennis

BillT

We had a problem do to copper pipes in a new building once with a zebrafish facility I was involved in and got a fish vet involved to help fix things.
It turns out that copper and zinc are both toxic.

Their toxicity varies with the hardness of the water. In harder water these metals are less toxic and in softer water they are more toxic.
Copper and zinc will dissolve faster in soft water than in hard water.
I think they might dissolve faster in acidic water, but I am not sure about that.

Our water here is pretty soft. One of our attempts to remove the copper was to use a water softener. This removed some of the copper but more of the other hardness ions. At these reduced hardness levels, our zebrafish (which I'm guessing are not the most sensitive of fish) were sensitive to copper at below one part per billion.

Butterfly

The only penny that i have is a lucky penny from 1983 (my birthday).
My godfather has given it to my when i had my last high-school test. I keep it with my driving-licence.

I have don somme more lucking up and i have taken the coints out, i allways have been told that it was copper but it is bronze.

I have found on an a dutch site the same advice : put a copper wire in your thank, on your own risk, watch your fish

and an outher tric: a cup of normal thee ( i woold go for black or green thee) per 100L  a week. ( a cup = 150 or 250 ml or 200 ml = 0.40 gallen or 0.55 gallon or 0.53 gallon for 26.5 gallen) On cup is not a standerd measurement here.

thanks

LizStreithorst

The tea would add tannins.  That's an interesting idea.  I have used peat moss with success.

PaulineMi

Some of the wild scalare and altum people on finarama have posted about various teas they add to their tanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 03, 2013, 06:55:13 PM
Some of the wild scalare and altum people on finarama have posted about various teas they add to their tanks.

Doesn't the caffeine bother them??? 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Butterfly

Mugwump: i had not be thinking about that.
I have found a website that gives tips about tea and caffiene : http://coffeetea.about.com/od/caffeinehealth/a/Factors-Influencing-Caffeine-Levels-In-Tea.htm
I have found that how hotter the water  and how longer you leave it standig how higher the caffiene. So you can make the tea with cold water for a short time.

I am thinking to give it a go.

LizStreithorst

If I were you, and I'm not you, if I wanted to lower the water hardness I would put a media bag of peat either in the tank of in your water storage container.  Peat will do a better job than tea and will be less expensive.

BallAquatics

I would collect some rain water and dilute the hard tap with that.  My Ohio water has never responded to adding peat or any other soften agents for that matter.....  just too much buffering.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on September 04, 2013, 03:45:58 PM
I would collect some rain water and dilute the hard tap with that.  My Ohio water has never responded to adding peat or any other soften agents for that matter.....  just too much buffering.

Dennis

I will depend on her water parameters, I guess.  My kH is only 4.5., gH 0, pH 7.2 or 7.4 (I can't remember which)  Peat lowered it enough that I had fry hatch out.  Since then I have had two spawns hatch in straight aged tap, but they were both small spawns.  I use RO for breeding now. 

I can see no reason to alter water parameters other than for breeding.  If you don't want to breed, stability is the key to healthy fish, IMO.  Add nothing unless there is a good reason.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 04, 2013, 04:04:10 PM
... If you don't want to breed, stability is the key to healthy fish, IMO.  Add nothing unless there is a good reason.

I completely agree Liz.  You are also correct about the hardness of the water having lots to do with the effectiveness of peat.  My gH is > 25 and peat has no effect on the well water.  On the other hand,  If I put 4 or 5 oak leaves into a bucket of rain water, I get the nicest "black water extract" you would ever want to see.

Dennis