• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 04:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 109
Total: 109

Water changes after vacation

Started by Butterfly, September 01, 2013, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

I was not home for the past tree weeks.

The first thing that i did after looking what the damages was, was a water change.
I havend lost 1 fish, so that was good to see.
And allmoste no allgies, so i think that the coppertric has worked. I have put somme coppercoins in a stocking.

I have changed about 2.5/4 of my 60 liter tank.
I have hooverd the bottem very well and my last bucked was almost cleer.
I added Vitamins and i am thinking about adding liquid bacteria.

My question is: What woold you do after 3 weeks

LizStreithorst

I don't think I'd do anything other than a couple more large WC over the period of a week. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Agreed, your bio should be fine....just do some nice water changes...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

The water changes are what I would do too.  While the pennies probably caused no harm, do be aware that copper can be toxic to fish.  Your water changes will remove it.

Copper sulfate is used as an algaecide and weed killer in ponds. It tends to accumulate in the pond substrate and can kill invertebrates and be harmful to the fish.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

A fish guy once told me when I lived on the Gulf Coast and got copepods that were eating my fry that copper worked on them.  I added one penny to each tank, as he suggested.  He said that the pennies had to have been made before a date that I cannot remember.  I've moved a bit north and no longer have a problem with them.

I cannot see tossing a bag of generic pennies in to a fish tank unless someone like Mr. Spock can tell me why it's a good idea.

PaulineMi

I read that the U. S. pennies between 1962-1982 are the ones that work. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 01, 2013, 06:20:46 PM
I read that the U. S. pennies between 1962-1982 are the ones that work.

More nickel than copper???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I couldn't do that as all my fry tanks have red ramshorn snails as cleanup crews

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on September 01, 2013, 06:27:08 PM
I couldn't do that as all my fry tanks have red ramshorn snails as cleanup crews

LOL..want some more????...got plenty, do a good job...but boy can they multiply...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't know, but the guy was reliable.  I think that he said that any penny before 1964 would work eccept for the pennys that were produced befor the war when copper became more valuable than  it is now.

ilroost

I know alot of people don't like snails, but they don't really bother me. Heck i kinda like them.

Butterfly

I do not know a thing about pennye's.
I am yousing Belgium 0.5 old Belgium Franks. From before the Euro, even before '90.

My fish seem ok so far and the nylonstocking is hidden at the back of my filter.

LizStreithorst

I don't know your money either, but it seems to me that I bag full of copper coins would put way too much copper and god knows what else in the water.  But I have never done it and you have so who am I to say?

BallAquatics

This is our penny Butterfly.  100 of these add up to 1 US dollar. If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.

Back when I kept freshwater dwarf shrimp it was said that some of them are so sensitive to copper that a single penny placed in the tank would kill them.  They are also very sensitive to heat.....  that's how I lost most of mine.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Please 'spalin me this,  I used one penny per 50 gallons.  I never saw a copepod again.  Will a bagful of pennies not infuse the water with too many metals?