• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Saturday check in

Started by Barb, April 04, 2020, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi everybody!  40 here now, but up to 70's later today.  Rollercoaster ride here lately.  Frosty roofs 2 days ago then up to 70 in  a few hrs.  Glad I don't have tender plantlets planted yet like many do here.  I wait.  Ron, that is some beautiful wood you posted last night.  What glue do you use?
Barb

wsantia1

Good morning Barb and everyone. I did manage to get over 7 hours sleep last night with the help of two Benadryl. I hate resorting to that but I desperately need more sleep than the 3.5 hours I've been getting lately. Feeling better today.

The coffee was great. It was even better because I didn't need it.

It is currently 55 degrees under cloudy skies. That will be our high temp today. At least the winds have calmed down and the temps will be in the mid 60s tomorrow.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on April 04, 2020, 05:42:17 AM
Hi everybody!  40 here now, but up to 70's later today.  Rollercoaster ride here lately.  Frosty roofs 2 days ago then up to 70 in  a few hrs.  Glad I don't have tender plantlets planted yet like many do here.  I wait.  Ron, that is some beautiful wood you posted last night.  What glue do you use?
Barb
Thanks, Barb...I use Gorilla glue....I learned at one of the hands-on demonstrations at the AGA convention last year in Seattle that it is safe to use...It's the one you moisten the two surfaces a little and then apply...it actually creates a rock hard foam as it cures...very similar to the the foam-in-place material you can get in an aerosol can...but, I won't be the first to try that stuff!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...and here we go again with another Saturday...don't the days just fly by as we get older?!!!...

.../weather is wonderful...64 now and heading to 81...beautiful sunny skies...

...we actually took a short walk yesterday after dinner as the sun set...

...let's see now...what will I be doing today?...I know I'll continue with the hardscape project...and I'll try to convince Lucy to give me a buzz haircut...then Stan and Barb will come over to finish the last 2 hands of a Samba game...the girls took the first hand...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Afternoon all.  Ron, I've been using any kind of superglue jell.  It works well but it sounds that your gorilla glue would be more secure.  Is it a jell?  I'll try it next time.

I was out this morning planting and mulching.  I was afraid I would run out of space to plant but I have space left over.  I need to look around and see what else I'd like to plant.

Barb, I'm going to follow your suggestion of putting my compost pile inside the garden.  I had planned to get the plants in and mulched and take it easy the rest of the day, but I've become obsessed with this project.  After my afternoon meds kick in I'll load my pile of leaves into the garden cart and take it to the garden.  There isn't enough space between the two beds for a pile of organic matter but I'll get it inside the fenced area in a corner.  At least when I need compost or mulch it will be handy there.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 04, 2020, 12:20:37 PM...Ron, I've been using any kind of superglue jell.  It works well but it sounds that your gorilla glue would be more secure.  Is it a jell?  I'll try it next time....
...SUPER GLUE GEL works for lighter weight stuff for me...but affixing rocks to each other and to be able to lift the heavy weight, I count on Gorilla Glue...pic below...It has a viscosity between that of Karo Syrup and pure Maple Syrup...takes a couple hours to set...so I clamp or brace the glued parts so they don't shift while the glue is curing...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Glued joint with tan cured glue showing.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Wow, I couldn't do that with the stuff I use.

Barb

I have  and use that glue, works great.  But not tried on wood or rocks.  I saw an ad recently for that glue now in clear color.  It does foam up that's for sure.  Takes hours to dry.  But then is rock hard and permanent.
Barb

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on April 04, 2020, 04:19:34 PM
I have  and use that glue, works great.  But not tried on wood or rocks.  I saw an ad recently for that glue now in clear color.  It does foam up that's for sure.  Takes hours to dry.  But then is rock hard and permanent.
Barb
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Babers

It's been nice outside in the morning here, so we turn off our heater and open the windows. Turn heater back on at night. Nice to feel the breeze outside and circulate some fresh air inside the house.
Joel

LizStreithorst

Isn't the fresh air.  Down my way I'm able to leave doors open all day and almost every night.  Haven't turned on the heater in weeks except for just once.  I've got my magnetic screed doors.  One of these days soon I'll have to get around to putting them up.  All that working over my head was hard for my back last year, but this year the back seems to be doing better.  I'll find out.

BillT

Gorilla glue and other polyurethane glues are water proof.
My experience is that superglue breaksdown in water after a while, but there may be different formulations that are water resistant.

I have used the foam crack filling polyurethane to make a tree frog habitat for my daughter. Not toxic (to frogs) and lasted years. Can form it into shapes to some extent and holds things well.