• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 154
Total: 155

Proud of myself

Started by LizStreithorst, April 03, 2020, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Dang, I thought I posted these pics yesterday.  I guess I screwed up.  I can never to wait going out there and looking at the plants every morning with my coffee.  Silly I know, but like I said, I'm inordinately proud of myself.  :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

view of the whole thing.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Looking good Liz.  Don't forget to mow some of that grass, rake it up, and make a good layer(s) of it in your compost pile.  For example, layer leaves, then paper or cardboard (thin), then grass, then food scraps from kitchen, then some soil, keep up the layering.  And keep it damp,if it doesn't get rain every couple weeks or so.  You should get or already have worms and other insects in there that will help the process.  Believe it or not, fire ants in a compost pile help a whole lot, speaking from experience here.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Barb, I'll keep the compost cooking but I have a fencing project on my list to do first.  I honestly don't know if I'll even get around to mowing that tall rye grass. I have so many things on my list.  I'll do my best.  I raked up what I had and it's on the pile.  I'll round-up the bits of grass coming up on the perimeter of the beds and also around the entire outside of the fence. 

LizStreithorst

I can't wait until the first of the month to take another picture.  Looking at the first pic and comparing it to what it looks like now is amazing.  Stuff is growing and green and healthy looking.

Barb, I have another compost question for you.  I put plain brown cardboard in and plain newspaper.  I don't put in stuff with a lot of color pics or colored writing on it.  I take that stuff to the burn pile.  I've always believed that the dyes add bad chemicals to the soil.  Can I add them?  God knows I have plenty of beer cartons that I could put in.  If I don't have green stuff I have other things that need doing before I mow and rake I add a sprinkling of cotton seed meal.  It's Felder's favorite organic fertilizer.

Barb

Liz, you can definitely use all cardboard, colored, plain, use it all.  I keep most grocery boxes, and flatten and use them all.  They all degrade and make great soil.  I have never heard of dyes in paper being bad.
Barb :)