• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 08:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 207
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

It's Friday

Started by Barb, April 03, 2020, 07:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Ron, does Tom Barr sell his wood on Aquabid?
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 04, 2020, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2020, 12:00:42 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 04, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 03, 2020, 08:38:16 PM
...yeh...but I'm really liking the pace...when I was working it was Go-Go-Go all the time...it's taken some time to get here..

...visited Stan and Barb for a few minutes to see what they've done to their 75g tank... Barb likes to move the plants around a lot....and wonders why they don't grow like mine...I keep telling her to quit moving them around so much...

...came back home and started working on the manzanita branches...arranging and gluing some of them together...

That's really nice wood you have there Ron. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
...Thanks, Willie...Mansanita is in the heath family (Rhodies, laurels,Azaleas, Blueberries)...it has that distinctive reddish tones mixed with the tan under the thin skin bark...it grows at and above 4000' out here...Tom Barr collects and sells a lot of it...

Ron, I have a small 15 inch piece of Mansanita without bark that seems to develop a fuzz of some sort after sometime in the water. I've heard that it is not harmful to the fish but I find it unsightly. Have you ever/seen something like that on your Mansanita?
...it happens with most woods, Willie, when first submerged....not to worry, it is just a fungus and will go away eventually...It creates a biofilm of living microscopic organisms that some fish and shrimps will feed on...

Thanks Ron. Good info. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 05, 2020, 06:52:50 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 04, 2020, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2020, 12:00:42 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 04, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2020, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 03, 2020, 08:38:16 PM
...yeh...but I'm really liking the pace...when I was working it was Go-Go-Go all the time...it's taken some time to get here..

...visited Stan and Barb for a few minutes to see what they've done to their 75g tank... Barb likes to move the plants around a lot....and wonders why they don't grow like mine...I keep telling her to quit moving them around so much...

...came back home and started working on the manzanita branches...arranging and gluing some of them together...

That's really nice wood you have there Ron. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
...Thanks, Willie...Mansanita is in the heath family (Rhodies, laurels,Azaleas, Blueberries)...it has that distinctive reddish tones mixed with the tan under the thin skin bark...it grows at and above 4000' out here...Tom Barr collects and sells a lot of it...

Ron, I have a small 15 inch piece of Mansanita without bark that seems to develop a fuzz of some sort after sometime in the water. I've heard that it is not harmful to the fish but I find it unsightly. Have you ever/seen something like that on your Mansanita?
...it happens with most woods, Willie, when first submerged....not to worry, it is just a fungus and will go away eventually...It creates a biofilm of living microscopic organisms that some fish and shrimps will feed on...

Thanks Ron. Good info. |^| |^| |^|
...You can also take the wood out and brush the film off and return it to the tank...as it recurs, repeat until no more...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron