• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 290
Total: 290

What’s this plant called?

Started by Babers, March 29, 2020, 09:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

It's a Petunia!  See if Felder agrees.
Barb

Ron Sower

...the leaves look fuzzy in this pic...looked glossy in other one....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

The leaves are smooth but I think that the ones just under the flower are fuzzy.

Barb, I think think you're right.  It's some kind of old variety of petunia.  I can't imagine where it came from.  It just started growing in a place that needs something pretty growing.  The foliage is beautiful even though the flower is not as impressive as a hybrid petunia.  I bet it's hardier, too.

I sent the pic to Felder.  I bet he will know the common name of this variety.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I just talked to Felder.  I told him to email me the Latin name. We were right, Barb.  It is a cross between Mexican petunia and normal petunia.  A few years ago I planted both.  The normal petunia died but it must hat been pollinated by the Mexican petunia.  Felder said that he seeds of these will last for years until they find the situation good enough to sprout.  He told he how to save the seeds do I could have more of them next year.  He said that it was one of his favorites.  It's my current favorite, too because it's so pretty and it came up on it's own without me doing anything.

He said that it would die down in the summer and the seeds will sprout in the winter, same as collards or mustard greens.  Like normal Petunias it doesn't like hot weather.  I know that it's silly but I'm very much attached to this plant.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Your new pretty plant is a  volunteer petunia.  I get lots of volunteers, free plants, and usually very hardy as opposed to the same from a nursery where they were started in different conditions than my yard.  I love my volunteers.
Barb