• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 193
Total: 193

What’s this plant called?

Started by Babers, March 29, 2020, 09:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babers

Anyone know the name of this plant?
Joel

Ron Sower

The leaf and fruit structures appear to be that of a begonias species or cultivar...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Very pretty Angelwing Begonia.
Barb

LizStreithorst

I've got one for you, Barb.  Felder said that he wouldn't be able to tell until it flowered.  It just came up out of nowhere and I think it's very pretty.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 30, 2020, 11:09:35 AM
I've got one for you, Barb.  Felder said that he wouldn't be able to tell until it flowered.  It just came up out of nowhere and I think it's very pretty.
...I'm definitely not Barb, but that one looks like a Basil...Did you have some there last year?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Agree with Ron.  Break off a leaf, squish it some, smell it, if Basil you should recognize the scent.  It won't bloom until much later if it is Basil. 
Barb

LizStreithorst

Barb

Guess we will have to wait then.  Sure looks like Basil though.

LizStreithorst

Felder said that if it had a square stem it would be in the family with the mints (including basil) it doesn't, though.  Neither does it have any smell or taste.  It looks like a small flower bud has formed so it won't be too long before we know.

BallAquatics

This is what Basil looks like.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 30, 2020, 06:50:51 PM
Felder said that if it had a square stem it would be in the family with the mints (including basil) it doesn't, though.  Neither does it have any smell or taste.  It looks like a small flower bud has formed so it won't be too long before we know.

I thought mint as soon as I saw it,but have no idea why. ;D
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Ron Sower

...the Kribs still had the fry under control last night...and keeping the rest of the community on the left side of the tank...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 31, 2020, 09:17:58 AM
...the Kribs still had the fry under control last night...and keeping the rest of the community on the left side of the tank...!

It sounds promising Ron. mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

My mystery plant that is not basil flowered.  The flower is trumpet-like, similar to a petunia.