• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 16, 2024, 01:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175

Pearl Gouramies

Started by LizStreithorst, March 28, 2020, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have some from back when I bred them years ago.  I love the color of the males when they're in breeding mode.  The problem is, when you sell them they are young and look very plain so they're not big sellers. 

When I bred them last I did it in outside 150 gallon containers.  This time I'll do it inside in a 65 wide tank.  They're fun to breed but need RO and I'm still waiting for the unit I ordered to arrive, but I can stick them in a 60 wide with everything but water parameters perfect.  They have a gazillion babies.  I have learned that I must feed most of the kids to other fish to keep the numbers under control.  My Platys and Rainbow fish will love them when they are small.  I bet the Discus will love them when they get bigger.  My LFS will be delighted with the rest.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Babers

I've never tried to breed gouramis. Are they hard to breed?
Joel

LizStreithorst

These Pearls aren't.  They need calm water, floating plants and around a 30 gallon tank.  Male builds a bubble nest and embraces the female to make her eggs come out.  After they're done, it's best to remove the female and a few days later the male.  Fry eat green water and microbes on the roots of the floating plants as their first food.

Babers

That is very interesting. Found a YouTube video after you mentioned how to breed them....I was amazed on what the male does...specially making the bubble nest. Goodluck Liz.
Joel

LizStreithorst

I've been lucky enough to see the embrace twice.  It's such a beautiful sight. The only problem is that they produce gazillions of fry so at the pet store they're worth no more than live bearers.  But they give me pleasure so what the heck. 

I remember the first time I had a successful batch.  I'd been looking at their breeding tank (at that time also a 60 wide) and saw the fry.  They looked like a huge mass of tiny dots.  I was so excited I went around yelling, "I have dots.  I have dots".  Ever since then my nick name for Pearls has been dots.

Babers

I'll be waiting for your pictures/videos when they start breeding |^|
Joel

LizStreithorst

I'll take pics if I catch them in the act.  Dad has a nice bubble nest built but the female's body isn't full of eggs yet.