• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52

Corona self quarantine

Started by Ron Sower, March 27, 2020, 01:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...I don't know about you guys, but this quarantine stuff isn't so bad for me...I don't mind staying home too much at all...does that make me a hermit? :D :D :D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

It's not as bad for me is it is for many others.  Like you, I prefer to being home than being with people as long as I have the necessities.  I call myself a friendly recluse.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I don't have much a problem with it either.

I get out about once every four days to stores.

I might have to go to hospitals for eyebank purposes, but their demands for corneas are way down since elective surgeries have mostly been eliminated. Have not been out for those reasons in almost two weeks.
Last time I went, the body I was working on was next to a covid-19 labeled body bag.
Most eye surgeries are elective, so dispensable for now.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on March 27, 2020, 02:24:11 PM
Last time I went, the body I was working on was next to a covid-19 labeled body bag.

I bet that was disconcerting.  Please everyone, be careful and stay well.

ghonk

So I guess there are benefits of me having a pathetic social life after all.
That's good to know,now I can stop whining  about it.   ;D
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Babers

I envy you guys/gals. As much as I would like to stay home, I can't right now. 12 hour shifts 3x/wk. Very cautious when dealing with patients. They let patients wear mask but not us at this time....unless we're sick. My hands are starting to dry up from using too much hand sanitizer, on top of handwashing and gloves. Can't be too careful. My wife is worried every time I go to work. Everyone is paranoid.
Joel

Ron Sower

Quote from: Babers on March 27, 2020, 08:30:46 PM
I envy you guys/gals. As much as I would like to stay home, I can't right now. 12 hour shifts 3x/wk. Very cautious when dealing with patients. They let patients wear mask but not us at this time....unless we're sick. My hands are starting to dry up from using too much hand sanitizer, on top of handwashing and gloves. Can't be too careful. My wife is worried every time I go to work. Everyone is paranoid.
...Joel, are you a nurse, dr, med tech?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

ghonk

Quote from: Babers on March 27, 2020, 08:30:46 PM

Are  you not wearing a mask because of a shortage?
And though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none.
I can read the writing on the wall.
Paul Simon

Babers

I'm a nurse Ron.

Why we're not wearing masks...the short answer is due to shortage. Basically let's just say there's 2 people in the room and 1 is wearing a mask, no transmission is supposed to happen. So the reasoning behind it is it's a waste of mask if both patients and staff are wearing them. Do the patient always keep their mask on? That's another story. Do we feel protected? Not really.
Joel

wsantia1

Quote from: Babers on March 27, 2020, 10:15:55 PM
I'm a nurse Ron.

Why we're not wearing masks...the short answer is due to shortage. Basically let's just say there's 2 people in the room and 1 is wearing a mask, no transmission is supposed to happen. So the reasoning behind it is it's a waste of mask if both patients and staff are wearing them. Do the patient always keep their mask on? That's another story. Do we feel protected? Not really.

Be safe Joel.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

QuoteI bet that was disconcerting.
Not so much really.
The morgue is kept rather clean. I am friends with the guy who runs the morgue and know that he takes things like this seriously and expect him to make good decisions.
I was all gowned up with gloves a mask on.
I have dealt with lots of really nasty chemicals before. I am used to limiting my movements so as to not get contaminated or spread things around.

Probably the biggest thing is the person was dead. This means he was not breathing out virus, not moving around spreading virus on surfaces and was mostly contained in a body bag.

Dealing with live patients like Babers does would be a lot more problematic and scary.
Hats off to him.
Thank you for your service!

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on March 28, 2020, 12:16:14 PM
QuoteI bet that was disconcerting.
Not so much really.
The morgue is kept rather clean. I am friends with the guy who runs the morgue and know that he takes things like this seriously and expect him to make good decisions.
I was all gowned up with gloves a mask on.
I have dealt with lots of really nasty chemicals before. I am used to limiting my movements so as to not get contaminated or spread things around.

Probably the biggest thing is the person was dead. This means he was not breathing out virus, not moving around spreading virus on surfaces and was mostly contained in a body bag.

Dealing with live patients like Babers does would be a lot more problematic and scary.
Hats off to him.
Thank you for your service!
+1  |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I hope you get paid as much as you deserve.  You know a whole lot.

Babers

Thanks guys/gals. Just doing my part in this pandemic. Problem is...we're like soldiers but not enough ammo (PPE) to fight.

I heard other areas are giving additional $$ for "hazard pay", but not our hospital....not a penny more. Instead several non-essentials and many nurses have been furloughed due to not enough in-patients. Furloughed people are even being discouraged by the hospital to use their sick/vacation hours. Not a good situation.

I've been very cautious still as I don't want to get it and worse bring it home to the family.
Joel