• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 06:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

So, what is marl?

Started by Barb, March 25, 2020, 08:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Marl comes from the ocean.  It is a rock like "stone" made up of millions of years of shells, sand, corals.  It is mined like a rock quarry, big chunks are cut out of it and used to make walls in the old days.  Now I only see it used all crushed up for driveway gravel or in large chunks for erosion control on banks.   If you hold a chunk of it in your hand you can see shells or imprints of where shells used to be.  Very interesting stuff.  I will take a pic sometime and post it here on this thread.  It is pouring rain now.
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on March 25, 2020, 08:08:54 AM
Marl comes from the ocean.  It is a rock like "stone" made up of millions of years of shells, sand, corals.  It is mined like a rock quarry, big chunks are cut out of it and used to make walls in the old days.  Now I only see it used all crushed up for driveway gravel or in large chunks for erosion control on banks.   If you hold a chunk of it in your hand you can see shells or imprints of where shells used to be.  Very interesting stuff.  I will take a pic sometime and post it here on this thread.  It is pouring rain now.
Barb

Please do take a picture. I'm very interested to see what it looks like.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Babers

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 25, 2020, 10:03:24 AM
Quote from: Barb on March 25, 2020, 08:08:54 AM
Barb

Please do take a picture. I'm very interested to see what it looks like.
1+
Joel