• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 11:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 169
Total: 170

Ground Digger Wasp

Started by JR, August 31, 2013, 07:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

I have been fighting these guys since last month they will not give up. I pour lemon ammonia down there hole and they dont come back. They just move a few feet away. Any of you have a way of killing them that wont harm my dogs. I am going nuts. I have been nailed 3 times so far.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Hot charcoal.....stuff it in the holes and spread around....we had them once at a place we lived..stung my oldest son on the arm..he swelled up so bad that we took him to the emerg room...his hand looked like he had a plastic glove on...huge/swollen.....I threw the charcoal from the grill all over the rock area...they moved..it trapped/killed a bunch too....you can pour the charcoal fluid/light fluid/gas/diesel...down the hole and burn it too......the extreme heat/flames kills most, and the smell deters them from locating close by....if they move too close for you..do it again....they be gone soon..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Thanks Jon I will try that tomorrow. It hurts like heck when they sting you. I dont swell up that bad. I just dont wont them to sting my dogs

BillT

I use many buckets of warm detergent water. Insect cuticles are water repellant. Soap, detergent, or organic solvents will wet their surfaces so that they can be drowned. Detergent is easy and will largely become fertilizer.

This works well on the large underground yellow hornets we have.

I have a friend with a different approach: he mixes bleach and ammonia and then quickly dumps it on the underground nest he wants to kill. bleach mixed with ammonia will liberate chlorine gas with will kill things without drowning them.

PaulineMi

Be sure to avoid inhaling any bleach/ammonia mix. 

We've used the charcoal fluid burn method Jon describes with success.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 01, 2013, 04:09:48 AM
Be sure to avoid inhaling any bleach/ammonia mix.

Very sound advise.  The chlorine gas combines with hydrogen in your lungs to form hydrochloric acid.  A very affective method of suffocation.

Dennis

JR

Well I went out about 1 am today and did the ammonia and bleach in half of the holes. And got a bright idea of trying starting fluid, Fired it up They both worked very well. Have had very few wasp today. Hope to get the rest tonite.

Mugwump

'starting fluid'...like carb cleaner..LOL..a blow torch...LOL., sorry, I had this vision of you torching them commando style  ;D....charcoal lighter, right?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

No starting fluid. Your right carb cleaner.  Patty thought I was nuts. I filled the holes with it and set it a blaze. I am going to hit them again in about a hour. The starting fluid works well.

Mugwump

I'm humming the theme from 'Ghost Buster's'...but singing 'wasp busters'....LOL....I used cold start ether once on a ground hog hole...sprayed like crazy, then tossed in a firecracker....sucker went off like a bazooka....whoooooooosh..flames shooting out of the hole...plus another that I hadn't noticed...out pops the ground hog still smoke'n...he ran off somewhere and I never saw him again....how he survived that...I'll never know.... ;D..but he be gone.... ;D
Jon

BillT

Ether, nice!
I read about a chemistry building where a liter of ether spilled, vaporized and then then blow up (in a chemistry building), badly damaging thte building.

Keeping things exciting I see!

Mugwump

Ya know, a 'Roman Candle' stuck in there would work wonders too   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

JR

The Wasp be gone to. Should have thought about starting fluid last month.

PaulineMi

Hooray!   Glad you got this done before causing some kind of explosion.  Boys..... :o.  Lol.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on September 01, 2013, 08:55:21 PMI used cold start ether once on a ground hog hole...sprayed like crazy, then tossed in a firecracker....sucker went off like a bazooka....whoooooooosh..flames shooting out of the hole...plus another that I hadn't noticed...out pops the ground hog still smoke'n...he ran off somewhere and I never saw him again....how he survived that...I'll never know.... ;D..but he be gone.... ;D

Good Lord!  And I catch hell for trying to feed a baby fish to my cat ::)
Always move forward. Never look back.