• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

Clippings

Started by Mugwump, March 20, 2020, 04:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

How do you get plant trimmings started up growing well?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

...assuming you mean stem plant trimmings...I make sure the bottom of the stem is a fresh cut...if it's old I trim it a little bit higher from the original cut...

...also sometimes I leave the "trunk" in the substrate to see if it will grow more branches...If not I pull it...

...next, if it's going in a tank with calm, non-digging fish, I use a pair of long forceps and grab that cut end with them and press it deep into the substrate....one stem at a time about 1/2'' apart to get light to the bottom of their stems...

...if it's going into a tank with fish that will uproot them, I usually group 3 together and wrap lead ribbon at the base and bury it...

...Rotalas, Ludwigias, and others seem to put down strong massive roots as they mature, so I'll put a root tab in the substrate in the middle of them...

...that't what works for me...if anyone else does it differently with success, I'd love to learn about it...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..thanks Ron...kinda what were thinking but figured any tips the pros would help... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2020, 06:32:26 PM
..thanks Ron...kinda what were thinking but figured any tips the pros would help... |^|
...pro? nah!...but enthusiast!...yes!...You're welcome...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron