• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 07:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 138
Total: 139

"flattenthecurve"

Started by Mugwump, March 18, 2020, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don't understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an "all human virus". The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it's a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn't human, and the human immune system doesn't recognize it so, we can't fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it's only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it's gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It's RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, "slippery"

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a "human" virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That's why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it's a lung eater...And, it's already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it's hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you're unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

BREAKING: Italian Health Ministry Confirms ONLY TWELVE Coronavirus Fatalities
By Ragnar | March 18, 2020 | Health, LEFTY MEDIA:

Did Not Have Other Serious Health Complications

From the Gateway Pundit:

Excerpts: But new data from the Italian government shows that the people dying from the coronavirus are either the elderly or have other complications.

50% of those who died from coronavirus had THREE DIFFERENT SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITIONS and the average per person had 2.7 serious health conditions.

Only 12 coronavirus fatalities had NO previous health concerns before coming down with the coronavirus.

Yep you read that correctly, in almost all deaths the victim had multiple underlying health problems before contacting the coronavirus.....

Similar to the flu, those most at risk of dying from the coronavirus are the elderly and the sick.  This is consistent around the world. There have been no known fatalities for any children 10 and under.

Or for that matter limited risk for those under say 50-60 years of age...

The elderly and the sick should be protected.  They are the ones at risk.
http://hardnoxandfriends.com/2020/03/18/breaking-italian-health-ministry-confirms-only-twelve-coronavirus-fatalities/
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on March 18, 2020, 01:56:19 PM

From the Gateway Pundit:

Excerpts: But new data from the Italian government shows that the people dying from the coronavirus are either the elderly or have other complications.

50% of those who died from coronavirus had THREE DIFFERENT SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITIONS and the average per person had 2.7 serious health conditions.

Only 12 coronavirus fatalities had NO previous health concerns before coming down with the coronavirus.

Yep you read that correctly, in almost all deaths the victim had multiple underlying health problems before contacting the coronavirus.....

Similar to the flu, those most at risk of dying from the coronavirus are the elderly and the sick.  This is consistent around the world. There have been no known fatalities for any children 10 and under.

http://hardnoxandfriends.com/2020/03/18/breaking-italian-health-ministry-confirms-only-twelve-coronavirus-fatalities/

...better get a better source Dale.....all I did was Google "Italian coronavirus deaths #"

....https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

World / Countries / Italy
Last updated: March 18, 2020, 19:53 GMT
Italy
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Recovered:
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

I think there are several wrong things in the first post:

QuoteIt has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.
This seems largely irrelevant to the rest of the post.

QuoteSeasonal flu is an "all human virus".
No, the flu viruses can often go back and forth between humans and pigs and sometimes birds (domestic chickens usually).

QuoteThe DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system.
The immune systems recognizes things exposed to the extracellular areas in the body. DNA and RNA are inside of cells and not available for immune system surveillance.

QuoteThe DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system.
They probably meant bird flu. I don't know that the origin of Spanish flu (during WWI) is known.

Quotethe RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn't human
Not relevant. The immune system is made to identify non-human molecules. 

Quotemutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase.
Not necessarily.

QuoteIt's RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Wrong, there is no reason for RNA to mutate more slowly than DNA.

Quoteit mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, "slippery"
This is just unsupported conjecture. It is not clear if or how mutations might have been involved in its getting into humans.

QuoteScientists call this quick ability, "slippery"
Never heard of this. Sounds like BS.

QuoteAnd it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
Unsupported conjecture.

QuoteAnd, it's already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
its not clear that the differences between the two slightly different corona virus strains ahve any differences in how they affect people or how difficult it would be to make a vaccine against them.

QuoteWe really have no tools in our shed, with this.
Well, no.
Many things are being tried out, for example, new ways to make vaccines and potential drugs for treating viruses (such as drug used against HIV).
Good care and treatment will result in better results. Poor care worse. If hospitals become overwelmed, then care will decline and death rates will increase. Same as with Ebola.

QuoteHenry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed
Plague was spread by fleas from rats , so this did nothing.

From what I have read, I would not give too much credence to what the Italians are saying right now.

For better sources for information on the Corona virus i would go to the Physics Forums (https://www.physicsforums.com/) (I post a lot on there).
They have some medical doctors, health care professionals, molecular biologists, and a bunch of others adept and numbers and statistics.
It is a site that really emphasizes good information with lots of references, which ensures higher quality information.
There several threads on the Corona virus there covering things, like: Wuhan Coronavirus Containment Efforts, What you are doing during quarantine?, Coronavirus 'Do me a favor' Science magazine opinion, Coronavirus infection rate + outcomes -versus bloodtypes, What makes the current coronavirus different from the others?, and Covid-19 virus treatment question.

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on March 18, 2020, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: waterboy on March 18, 2020, 01:56:19 PM

From the Gateway Pundit:

...better get a better source Dale.....all I did was Google "Italian coronavirus deaths #"

....https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

World / Countries / Italy
Last updated: March 18, 2020, 19:53 GMT
Italy
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

Recovered:

You didn't read the article. Only twelve of those you found didn't have multiple underlying health issues. 
Dale

waterboy

Quote from: BillT on March 18, 2020, 09:48:35 PM
I think there are several wrong things in the first post:

QuoteIt has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.
This seems largely irrelevant to the rest of the post.

QuoteSeasonal flu is an "all human virus".
No, the flu viruses can often go back and forth between humans and pigs and sometimes birds (domestic chickens usually).

The immune systems recognizes things exposed to the extracellular areas in the body. DNA and RNA are inside of cells and not available for immune system surveillance.

They probably meant bird flu. I don't know that the origin of Spanish flu (during WWI) is known.

Quotethe RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn't human
Not relevant. The immune system is made to identify non-human molecules. 

Quotemutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase.
Not necessarily.

QuoteIt's RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Wrong, there is no reason for RNA to mutate more slowly than DNA.

Quoteit mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, "slippery"
This is just unsupported conjecture. It is not clear if or how mutations might have been involved in its getting into humans.

QuoteScientists call this quick ability, "slippery"
Never heard of this. Sounds like BS.

QuoteAnd it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
Unsupported conjecture.

QuoteAnd, it's already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
its not clear that the differences between the two slightly different corona virus strains ahve any differences in how they affect people or how difficult it would be to make a vaccine against them.

QuoteWe really have no tools in our shed, with this.
Well, no.
Many things are being tried out, for example, new ways to make vaccines and potential drugs for treating viruses (such as drug used against HIV).
Good care and treatment will result in better results. Poor care worse. If hospitals become overwelmed, then care will decline and death rates will increase. Same as with Ebola.

QuoteHenry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed
Plague was spread by fleas from rats , so this did nothing.

From what I have read, I would not give too much credence to what the Italians are saying right now.

For better sources for information on the Corona virus i would go to the Physics Forums (https://www.physicsforums.com/) (I post a lot on there).
They have some medical doctors, health care professionals, molecular biologists, and a bunch of others adept and numbers and statistics.
It is a site that really emphasizes good information with lots of references, which ensures higher quality information.
There several threads on the Corona virus there covering things, like: Wuhan Coronavirus Containment Efforts, What you are doing during quarantine?, Coronavirus 'Do me a favor' Science magazine opinion, Coronavirus infection rate + outcomes -versus bloodtypes, What makes the current coronavirus different from the others?, and Covid-19 virus treatment question.

Thank you Bill T. I sort of figured that article wasn't right, but I am not enough of an expert to say for sure. It just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Just reminds us again "don't believe everything you find on the net."
Dale

Mugwump

"Thank you Bill T. I sort of figured that article wasn't right, but I am not enough of an expert to say for sure. It just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Just reminds us again "don't believe everything you find on the net."

Dale...guilty of not reading that sentence correctly.....my bad.....as for the reply,Bill....you're speculating in many of your answers also...let's see how it shakes out....obviously this virus is different that the others...

full article..... https://wsau.com/blogs/tom-kings-blog/54/its-not-just-the-flu/
Jon

waterboy

Just stuff that the Liberal Lapdog Obama Buttkissing Media fails to report.

1. China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

2. A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

3. Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

4. Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine.

5. Apple reopens all 42 China stores.

6. Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

7. In South Korea, the number of new cases is declining.

8. Italy is hit hard. WHY? Two reasons. Over 6,000 CHINESE-owned businesses in Prato, IT alone, with citizens from Wuhan China traveling to and fro since 2018! Also, they have the oldest population in Europe.

9. THREE Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

10. Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

11. A coronavirus tracker put up by Johns Hopkins University of Medicine shows that more than 73,000 people worldwide have recovered from Covid-19 so far.

12. Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

13. Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

14. A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on March 19, 2020, 09:58:33 AM

1. China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

2. A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

3. Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

4. Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine.

6. Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

8. Italy is hit hard. WHY? Two reasons. Over 6,000 CHINESE-owned businesses in Prato, IT alone, with citizens from Wuhan China traveling to and fro since 2018! Also, they have the oldest population in Europe.

9. THREE Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

10. Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

11. A coronavirus tracker put up by Johns Hopkins University of Medicine shows that more than 73,000 people worldwide have recovered from Covid-19 so far.

12. Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

13. Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

14. A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

...Yup,  thankfully reports are beginning to come in that progress is being made now.....remember the virus doesn't know Dem/Rep, Dale....and sorry to tell you this but President Obama would have responded quicker and wouldn't have put the blame on a 'Rep' hoax...after all his Pandemic panel would still have been in place ....frumper screwed up but now is trying to act like the hero...

oh....and 90% of the breakthrough's are by liberal scientists.... ;)...  LOL...naw, I don't know that....but let's see who takes credit for saving the world  huh...take a guess.. :) yup, the guy who was late to the party....

....good news is that a Malaria drug has shown promise of helping treat the virus....more testing is happening but it's a start...I believe French scientists have done a small sampling study so far and have spread the word....the hunt is still on.....

by the by, I'm an Independent that just don't like how frumper operates......so get over it  :)
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on March 19, 2020, 12:18:49 PM
Quote from: waterboy on March 19, 2020, 09:58:33 AM

...Yup,  thankfully reports are beginning to come in that progress is being made now.....remember the virus doesn't know Dem/Rep, Dale....and sorry to tell you this but President Obama would have responded quicker and wouldn't have put the blame on a 'Rep' hoax...after all his Pandemic panel would still have been in place ....frumper screwed up but now is trying to act like the hero...

oh....and 90% of the breakthrough's are by liberal scientists.... ;)...  LOL...naw, I don't know that....but let's see who takes credit for saving the world  huh...take a guess.. :) yup, the guy who was late to the party....

....good news is that a Malaria drug has shown promise of helping treat the virus....more testing is happening but it's a start...I believe French scientists have done a small sampling study so far and have spread the word....the hunt is still on.....

by the by, I'm an Independent that just don't like how frumper operates......so get over it  :)

Sure he would, check out his H1N1 response sometime. 
Already over it I have no problem with Trump haters as long as they don't make 10 derogatory posts a day on a fish forum.
I saw the segment on Tucker Carlson where a guy who worked for a drug company said that their Malaria drug was tested and found to cure 100% of those treated. Small sample, but might be worth looking into if he was right.
One thing to add to the above list.....China had 0 new cases yesterday.
Dale

Mugwump

"One thing to add to the above list.....China had 0 new cases yesterday."

I saw that, and it's great news too!....but don't forget what they went through to get there...now let's hope these new treatment findings can help us, and the world, help contain this thing  |^|

....as for frumper?....Myself I don't like to think that I hate him.......but he sure as hell won't be invited for burgers & beans over here at our house........he's a phony, liar, crook, and a bully...other than that... huh :)

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

QuoteJust stuff that the Liberal Lapdog Obama Buttkissing Media fails to report.
I don't even understand why someone would say this in response to my post. I said nothing about either Trump or Obama.
i was talking about particular fact floating around on the net.

But since you brought it up, times would be a lot better if the ultra-genius president had not shut down the group exactly set up to identify and deal with risks like this in the first place.

THANKS TRUMP!

Or maybe if he had not lied to the country about what was coming (or the most charitable analysis is just that he was too dumb or self centered to take the advice of the experts he is now depending on).

THANKS TRUMP!

Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail!

Actually some your points have been reported. But most of it is likely wrong or irrelevant (the success or failure of a few particular patients out of a large population, although they may be inspiring, don't really affect the statistical course of the disease where most of the people are going to survive anyway (probably has a 1-3% death rate, but could get worse (5-8%) if hospitals get overwealmed).

Some of it just sounds like racist crap (your #8). You should post a real (non-fox type) link to a credible source for this conclusion, if you want like to retrieve a good reputation.

QuoteSure he would, check out his H1N1 response sometime.
I don't know what you are talking about.
Please post a link to credible (non-fox type) source for whatever goofy thing you are talking about.
This sounds you're passing on like another Trump/Fox lie.
If it is real, you should be able to find a real record of it.

Can't imagine why you are supporting Trump.
He is a false, self-entered, Evil Spawn of Putin.
The whole GOP is rolling with him.