• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 144
Total: 144

Kribensis activity

Started by Ron Sower, March 10, 2020, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...2 Sundays ago a member brought me a female Kribensis to pair with my male...He found her in the thick plant cover within and hour...the next couple days they were cavorting and shimmying and going from cave to cave, checking things out as lovebird Kribs will do...

...next day or so, she was a ceramic cave on the right of the tank and he was chasing everything away...this went on for a couple days....

...then she started coming out of the cave more...then started going over and into the coconut shell cave...he'd follow her there and guard the opening while she was in there...then she'd come out and go back to the ceramic cave...he'd follow and guard...

...now they are out and about most of the time but staying together...I've never seen Kribs go back and forth like that after they apparently spawned...

...I'm thinking the eggs weren't fertile...this was his first spawn..I've had him since he was about 1/2" long...any ideas?...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 10, 2020, 10:23:03 AM
...2 Sundays ago a member brought me a female Kribensis to pair with my male...He found her in the thick plant cover within and hour...the next couple days they were cavorting and shimmying and going from cave to cave, checking things out as lovebird Kribs will do...

...next day or so, she was a ceramic cave on the right of the tank and he was chasing everything away...this went on for a couple days....

...then she started coming out of the cave more...then started going over and into the coconut shell cave...he'd follow her there and guard the opening while she was in there...then she'd come out and go back to the ceramic cave...he'd follow and guard...

...now they are out and about most of the time but staying together...I've never seen Kribs go back and forth like that after they apparently spawned...

...I'm thinking the eggs weren't fertile...this was his first spawn..I've had him since he was about 1/2" long...any ideas?...

...it's courtship...she likely didn't spawn in either.... huh huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2020, 10:35:29 AM

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2020, 10:35:29 AM

...a teasing b***h, I guess...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

...Well, they Kribs may have actually had their first spawn...Friday night as I was feeding the fish I noticed her out and hanging low to the substrate in one area...the male was busy chasing off every intruder...including the playful and seemingly carefree Yoyo Loaches!...

...so I looked closer....nothing...then I saw some little free-swimmers rise from the substrate!!!!... ;D

...yesterday the parents had them out and about the right side of the tank, and the rest of the fish were on the left half!...that is, until I fed them....then the parents were in total defense mode, working their fins off keeping their tank mates out of the right side of the tank...

...now we'll see if any of them make it to juvenile stage in the community tank... ;)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 30, 2020, 11:15:59 AM
...Well, they Kribs may have actually had their first spawn...Friday night as I was feeding the fish I noticed her out and hanging low to the substrate in one area...the male was busy chasing off every intruder...including the playful and seemingly carefree Yoyo Loaches!...

...so I looked closer....nothing...then I saw some little free-swimmers rise from the substrate!!!!... ;D

...yesterday the parents had them out and about the right side of the tank, and the rest of the fish were on the left half!...that is, until I fed them....then the parents were in total defense mode, working their fins off keeping their tank mates out of the right side of the tank...

...now we'll see if any of them make it to juvenile stage in the community tank... ;)

Good luck with the Kribs Ron. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 30, 2020, 01:52:51 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on March 30, 2020, 11:15:59 AM

Good luck with the Kribs Ron. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
...thanks, Willie....dont know what I'll do with them if any survive!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Babers

Joel

LizStreithorst

That's cool, Ron.  I do hope you are able to raise some.  You'll figure out something to do with them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...so far, so good....except for the mama...found her all dried up on the floor last night...she and dad must have had a bit of an altercation and she jumped and bit the dust...literally...she was covered in dust... :-[ :-[ :-[

...now dad has all the work of keeping the rest of the community on the left side of the tank...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 09, 2020, 11:21:07 AM
...so far, so good....except for the mama...found her all dried up on the floor last night...she and dad must have had a bit of an altercation and she jumped and bit the dust...literally...she was covered in dust... :-[ :-[ :-[

...now dad has all the work of keeping the rest of the community on the left side of the tank...

Sorry to hear about the mama Ron. :(
Willie

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 09, 2020, 12:43:52 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 09, 2020, 11:21:07 AM

Sorry to hear about the mama Ron. :(
...thanks, Willie...she was a good one...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

That's too bad Ron, hope some of her kids will live and prosper to carry on for her....
Barb

LizStreithorst

Oh man, that sucks.  I'm so sorry, Ron.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

...thanks for the condolences, guys...

...last night prior to bedtime, I noticed that the male was not attacking the intruders as fiercely as he had been...I'm thinking he's tiring out since he was doing it all by himself now...so, I rummaged around looking for something to partition that end of the tank from the rest...the only thing I came up with was a pair of glass pieces from an old fireplace screen that I'd saved (I'm a packrat)...so I placed them in and secured them somewhat with plastic clamps...

...it worked!...the other fish are still on the other side of the partition!... |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 10, 2020, 10:39:55 AM
...thanks for the condolences, guys...

...last night prior to bedtime, I noticed that the male was not attacking the intruders as fiercely as he had been...I'm thinking he's tiring out since he was doing it all by himself now...so, I rummaged around looking for something to partition that end of the tank from the rest...the only thing I came up with was a pair of glass pieces from an old fireplace screen that I'd saved (I'm a packrat)...so I placed them in and secured them somewhat with plastic clamps...

...it worked!...the other fish are still on the other side of the partition!... |^|

Good luck with that situation Ron.
Willie