• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 153
Total: 154

Sex of angelfish??

Started by LizStreithorst, October 21, 2012, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I really really really would like this fish to be a male.  It's not, is it?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Sorry, looks like a female to me....beautiful fish....nice Half Black...great finage and shape...a breeder for sure
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't need a female, but I like this one and will keep her even though I don't need her.  I always end up regretting it when I sell a fish that rings my bell.

I will choose another one and take a pic.  I really, really, really need a male.

Mugwump

What genotype are you looking for...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have half black crosses.  I want a male to breed back to my pure half black female, but I like the lacy look that the crosses have to their fins.  I want a veil.

I sold the best of these when they were quite young.  Then I killed some last week when I did a stupid thing.  I still have 135 gallons of fish to choose from.  I will look again.  All I want is one good man fish.

Barb

She's a she Liz.  You will find a male.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Another female, right?

Barb

Mugwump

They looks to be a male....do you have a front on view? and I can be sure....
Jon

Jdmcfast

What exactly are you looking at Jon to be so sure? The last ones look to be male to me too but I've been proved wrong so many times I don't usually try to guess until spawning time lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

b125killer

I'm not good at sexing them either. they are pretty angels.
Scott

Mugwump

On the top fish, I'm seeing a pug in the egg sac area and a bit of flatness betweeh the ventrals and anal fins.....
on the lower one....the area between the ventrals and anal fin are sloped much more, and the nuchal hump seems to be forming....if you could see a frontal shot...you'd see the pugginess in the female , if it was one.....
not fool proof, but I've gotten fairly good at telling....spawning presentation is the best way....
I like to look at the angels front on before feeding, the slim and trim ones are usually the males...a side view showing a good slope behind the ventrals will confirm it most times...and then there's the nuchal hump....more prominent in males...
tank deportment can be a clue too...watching the angels interact provides a host for information...

but who knows???...I've had it wrong too.....but that one's a male...yep.
Jon

LizStreithorst

It's in a 75 gallon with a whole shit load of others.  I can pick it out though.  I'm finished in the fish room tonight.  I'll get a frontal shot tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.  Who knew it would be so hard to find just one good man ::)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 21, 2012, 07:47:32 PM
It's in a 75 gallon with a whole shit load of others.  I can pick it out though.  I'm finished in the fish room tonight.  I'll get a frontal shot tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.  Who knew it would be so hard to find just one good man ::)

LOL..............
Jon

LizStreithorst

frontal shots