• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 12:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 236
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 257
Total: 257

Monitor problem I

Started by LizStreithorst, February 05, 2020, 01:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

If my puppies chew the cord from the monitor to the transformer and I splice the two wires the wrong wires backwards will it kill the transformer?
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

If they are different colored wires you should splice them color to color.    If they are the same color, look for one of them with a white stripe or a different shaped insulation. If they are the same color and you can't find any difference between them it probably doesn't make any difference.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

...you might want to order a spare.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

If the puppies ate the monitor cord and she doesn't have a monitor, how does she read the responses? LOL
Dale

LizStreithorst

I spliced the wrong wires together the first time.  When I did it right it still didn't work.  Did I kill it?

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on February 05, 2020, 03:19:57 PM
If the puppies ate the monitor cord and she doesn't have a monitor, how does she read the responses? LOL

...phone..different rig...lap top backup.....smoke signals.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on February 05, 2020, 04:44:56 PM
Quote from: waterboy on February 05, 2020, 03:19:57 PM

...phone..different rig...lap top backup.....smoke signals.... huh
...you forgot messenger pigeon!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 05, 2020, 03:51:45 PM
I spliced the wrong wires together the first time.  When I did it right it still didn't work.  Did I kill it?

Could very well be.  Are you sure there isn't more than one break?  Be sure to splice the metal wires and not just the insulation.
Dale

LizStreithorst

I checked the cord and I know enough not to splice the insulation.  Is is it just the cord with what I guess is a transformer I killed or the monitor as well?

LizStreithorst

Never mind.  I spliced it backwards a second time.  With glasses and an LED flashlight and poof...fixed.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 06, 2020, 05:58:17 AM
Never mind.  I spliced it backwards a second time.  With glasses and an LED flashlight and poof...fixed.

.... |^|
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 06, 2020, 05:58:17 AM

Way to go Liz.  You're an amazing lady!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

If I were amazing I wouldn't have screwed it up the first time.  One of the wires has tiny white writing on it that I mistook for the broken white line on the other. Stupid.  Thanks for thinking so, though

waterboy

My hero. |^| |^|
Dale

Mugwump

Jon