• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 138
Total: 139

Newbie advice

Started by Jdmcfast, August 28, 2013, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

What would your single best piece of advice be for someone brand new to the hobby?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Josh

Mugwump

Read about what you're about to undertake. Be informed.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I would say take it slow. The bacteria cycle can't be rushed. There's plenty of time to get all the fish you want if you take it slow. Or they buy a bunch of fish cuz the guy at the fish store is selling fish. They all end up dead and the tank sits empty. We've all heard of this, right?

Go slow. It will be a lot more fun with live fish.

Butterfly

I would say take a look at different stores before you buy anything.
Different stores give different storys and give you the chance to compare.

PaulineMi

Water changes and don't overfeed.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Fishkeeping is not Rocket Science.  Don't become over whelmed with all the terminology you are going to come across.  It is a most rewarding hobby and once you get a bit of experience, there are so many paths for you to explore that it never becomes old.

Dennis

JR

Do all the research you can. And then have fun. We all have made mistakes along the way. That is how we become better by are mistakes
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

P4Angels

Find a good forum and ask lots of questions.... (like here)
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

LizStreithorst

My advice would be to change lots of water.  I can't help it.  I'm a Discus person :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Overfeeding I think is one of the most common mistakes I would suggest feeding lightly and designate one person in the household to do this for obvious reasons.

Josh

b125killer

There's so much good advice I don't think I could stop at one. I would tell them everything I could think of if they let me.
Scott

wsantia1

Avoid overstocking, over feeding and do frequent water changes.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Buy your fish stock from breeders...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Jdmcfast

Quote from: PaulineMi on August 29, 2013, 08:30:20 AM
Quarantine new stock.
Good one!

Josh